Thread: "Fold Down Rear Seat?"

My Cars
    and trucks

"Fold Down Rear Seat?"

I was reading about how to take out front seats today (final part of the winter project ) and on page 520-5 the manual mentions rear seats that fold down: "(sedan models, with fold down rear seat)" I've never seen/ heard of these. Do they open to the trunk? I'm assuming that the panel between the cockpit and the trunk is different. But...does anyone have a pic/source/ info of these.

My Cars
    95 525it/5, 99 528i/5
    i've been thinking of doing this but the benefits dont seem to outwiegh the work. it would be very nice, or at least get an opening at the armrest

My Cars
    and trucks
    I've got the opening armrest. But anyone have more pics of this setup? I'm really curious.

My Cars
    LS1 318is
    Where the armrest folds down, if the insulation is precut, remove that, then kit the sheet metal with a hammer and it will also pop out. Then you can at least put ski's or something through there. I discovered this while installing new shocks. I was thinking about cutting all the sheet metal out and welding some kind of rails in so the rear seat could be easily removed with wing nuts or something from the trunk, but then I got kind of lazy.

My Cars
    and trucks
    Right, right. The winter sports package ski-bag. That I have, but having rear seats that fold down would really open op options for lateral size of objects I can fit in the car. As a youngin (I have to move alot of crap as cheaply as possible) and this car being my 1st/last DD its just

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by David325e View Post
    Right, right. The winter sports package ski-bag. That I have, but having rear seats that fold down would really open op options for lateral size of objects I can fit in the car. As a youngin (I have to move alot of crap as cheaply as possible) and this car being my 1st/last DD its just
    there's sheet metal between the back of the seat and the trunk
    look at some pics from the DIY rear headrest installs

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    Buy a Touring. The seat on a Touring folds down.

My Cars
    blah , blah blah

Fold down rear seats were an option on the

e34, not many have them though... If i could post attachements i could show you the pieces needed, not worth the effort to cut out the rear panel and weld in the one used on the seat folding model though. If you look in the etk you'll find all the pieces. Same with the e39, i've seen a couple of them here with the fold down rear seats.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Buy a Touring. The seat on a Touring folds down.
    Win

My Cars
    and trucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
    e34, not many have them though... If i could post attachements i could show you the pieces needed, not worth the effort to cut out the rear panel and weld in the one used on the seat folding model though. If you look in the etk you'll find all the pieces. Same with the e39, i've seen a couple of them here with the fold down rear seats.
    Thanks Bill. I also searched another post from here last night and seems like members with them discussed squeaking and loss of torsional rigidity in the frame. I'd still like to see it if you feel like emaling them-> dadkins14@radford.edu

Quote Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
    there's sheet metal between the back of the seat and the trunk
    look at some pics from the DIY rear headrest installs
    I know man, I've had no back seat for a week.

My Cars
    '94 525ia
    I've got the "through-load" system.. aka folding rear seats
    It's handy.. especially for stacking the rear seats full of wheels and the trunk full of parts now that the car is in hibernations

But I can't put E32 Headrests and armrest

My Cars
    blah , blah blah

I posted them here

on bimmernut.com at this linkhttp://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...d=1#post318009

Quote Originally Posted by David325e View Post
    Thanks Bill. I also searched another post from here last night and seems like members with them discussed squeaking and loss of torsional rigidity in the frame. I'd still like to see it if you feel like emaling them-> dadkins14@radford.edu

I know man, I've had no back seat for a week.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Quote Originally Posted by birkire View Post
    I've got the "through-load" system.. aka folding rear seats
    It's handy.. especially for stacking the rear seats full of wheels and the trunk full of parts now that the car is in hibernations

But I can't put E32 Headrests and armrest
    bet you have to use touring rear headrests...