Thread: Trans Failsafe Program in the FAQ

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Exclamation Trans Failsafe Program in the FAQ

There have been a lot of posts concerning the trans failsafe program. It is time to put it in the FAQ. Any help finding relevant threads or posts would be greatly appreciated. Please copy and post the links in this thread or PM them to me.

Thanks in advance.

If any of the posts in the following list contain incorrect info., please let me know.

Trans Failsafe Program (Limp Mode)

- Here is what happens when the computer detects an issue in the transmission.

- Switch/selector for the trans can fail.

- Check that your wheel sensors are clean and connected.

- Can be caused by a sensor problem.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 01-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    97 BMW 328i
    I think you mean part #5.

Thanks.

My Cars
    1995 318I, 2003 525I
    Subscribed. Ok wheel sensors. Um anyone have a pic of them

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrat//e36 View Post
    Subscribed. Ok wheel sensors. Um anyone have a pic of them

(Photo courtesy of bluebee)
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 01-22-2010 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    1995 318I, 2003 525I
    cool thanks

My Cars
    2003 540 is

Trans failsafe fault

I recently encountered a similar problem on a '03 540 is that I had purchased with 110K miles. After many hours of aggravation at least once per day a shifting from P to D or D to P, but never while driving. So it seemed to be more electrical than a bad tranny as turning the ignition on/off would clear the fault.
    With the help of shop diagnostic tool, we narrowed the fault to the neutral safety switch ($300). I think the contacts wore out in the selector.
    I replaced it in about 90 minutes and the fault has not recurred in over 3K now, knock on wood.
    Hope this lead helps someone having a similar problem.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5
    This is great. Bluebee has a wealth of knowledge regarding this problem. When my trans failsafe came on, it happened to be a blown fuse next to the EGS, located right under the pass. side cabin air filter in a little 5-fuse panel. Always check your fuses first.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    "trans failsafe program" means there is a code in the transmission computer. It means nothing more. There is ONLY ONE first step. Get the code(s) read. Replacing any parts before doing this is cluelessly wasteful and counter productive.

When your kid comes to you and says he doesn't feel well, do you go googling around looking for a cure? Maybe Bluebee knows, she works with kids. Maybe it's appendicitis. Or wait, here's a guy that "cured" his dog with diet. His dog has brown hair and so does my kid... that must be it.

Or maybe, just maybe, you ask the kid what the problem seems to be, try to get more information so you can pick a next step....

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    OK, so here is the complete list of codes I was able to get from my 2000 528i. I have not been able to get much information on them or where to begin to figure out what is causing them. The car has been in a fairly minor front end collision (not even bad enough to set off the bags) and there are a few loose electrical connectors near the front bumper on both sides that are just hanging loose and I can't seem to find out where they belong. The car also has water in the passenger side floorboard, both front and rear. All I know so far is that the battery has been checked and verified to be good, the car will start, run and move, but it runs rough, has no power when the accelerator is pressed and doesn't seem to get out of first gear when I attempt to drive it. I am wondering if the water in the floorboard has shorted something out or if the ECU could be bad or what exactly? I just have no knowledge on these cars at all. I bought this car because it seemed to be in fairly good shape otherwise and was a bargain. I hope to be able to fix it. Can anyone help me figure out where to begin? I wasn't sure exactly where to post this but since a lot of the codes are transmission related, I thought I'd start here. Thanks.
    P0600 - Serial Communication Link Malfunction
    P1421 - Secondary Air System Bank 1
    P1423 - Power Train Manufacturer Defined Code (Can't find this one)
    P1750 - Secondary Pressure Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance
    P1751 - Secondary Pressure Solenoid Open Circuit
    P1749 - Secondary Pressure Solenoid Communication Error
    P1748 - Transmission Control Module Self Test
    P0727 - Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal
    P0731 - Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio
    P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
    P0733 - Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio
    P0734 - Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
    P1747 - CAN Bus Monitoring
    P1770 - CAN Torque Interface
    P1765 - CAN Throttle Valve
    P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)
    P0753 - Shift Solenoid "A" Electrical
    P0763 - Shift Solenoid "C" Electrical

My Cars
    '03 540i M-sport auto
    This is my EXACT problem I'm having right now, it's only when shifting between P-D-R but never between drive gears and always clears up if I restart the car. Thanks for that comment, I'll have to take it somewhere and hope we can narrow it down to a module or sensor.