Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Diesel Revolution

My Cars
    Silver BMW
    Thanks so much for the information. It really helped me a lot about knowing whats so important about diesel and diesel engines.

My Cars
    120d coupe
    ...if i can help, my pleasure.

My Cars
    120d coupe
    Oh, and by the way, we Europeans like Diesel engine because gazoline engines got much higher consumption than diesel ones. Also the gazoline costs much more.
    FYI - 1 liter Gazoline in Belgium is between 1.68$ & 1,96$ (1.20 EUR & 1.40 EUR) !!!!!

The choice is quickly done for us...

My Cars
    98 Mustang GT
    Screw it...I'm moving to Europe. Cannes is a wonderful place... Or somewhere in England so I don't have to learn a second language right off the bat.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Uraharasan View Post
    Screw it...I'm moving to Europe. Cannes is a wonderful place... Or somewhere in England so I don't have to learn a second language right off the bat.
    Here is alittle secret: almost everyone in Europe speaks a 2nd language, and English is the most popular.
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    120d coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Uraharasan View Post
    LOL - Now you understand why...

(Off topic) ON

Cannes is nice but not wonderful. You got much nicer area in South of France, like Bormes-Les-mimosas, or Port-Grimaud...

As BigM62 said, in Europe we almost all speak at least two langages. Oh, I'm speaking 4...(French,Dutch,German & English).

You're most welcome to come here

(Off topic) OFF

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by GETU View Post
    LOL - Now you understand why...

(Off topic) ON

Cannes is nice but not wonderful. You got much nicer area in South of France, like Bormes-Les-mimosas, or Port-Grimaud...

As BigM62 said, in Europe we almost all speak at least two langages. Oh, I'm speaking 4...(French,Dutch,German & English).

You're most welcome to come here

(Off topic) OFF
    The Italian Rivera is nice also. Ask me how I know.
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    98 Mustang GT
    I loved Cannes when I was there. Same for Nice. Hell, the entire French Riviera is a great place. @_@

Anyways...back on topic. Killer diesels!

My Cars
    r6, D. 1200w/13b
    getu great sounding car. shame we only get the 335d/535d sedan and no mauals here in america. i dont know why so many people rag on diesels if you dig a lil deeper than the big trucks and the 70s you find that they are really good cars through and through. plus idk how it is in europe since i havent been in 8 years but we have lots of alt fuels in america to run tehm on so you could make your own fuel that is fairly inexpensive in comparison to whats out there.

Honda CL350- currently torn down to the frame awaiting blasting and welding
    R6- it's good stuff
    Wheelie for Safety!

My Cars
    120d coupe
    Thx cencalballer!
    Oh really, no manual gears? That's just more fun!!!! That's a shame indeed.

Well, if I was an American, I truly think I'd stay on Petrol engines mainly because of the sound and the average higher amount of pleasure you can get.
    But we live now in a worldwide crisis where we all need to save money and be carefull what to spend. So here in Europe, diesel became the king to compare with Petrol and Hybrid versions.

ps:
    1/ what do you with "idk"?
    2/ The link to the prsentation of my car: http://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16994

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    I should make a trip to your dyno! You are not that far away.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

3.0L S50B32 EURO Single Vanos with ITB's and Twin Garret GT2252 Turbo
    VEMS Standalone (www.vems.hu) most features enabled.
    Brakes, suspention, rollcage, seats, harness, wheels and tires.

My Cars
    '95 E36
    I used the following conversion hoping that I'm right...
    1 Liter = 3.78 gallons
    1 Km = 0.61 miles
    I don't think that is right.

1 liter = 0.264 US gallons
    '95 E36 318tdS:
    Bilstein Sport shocks; x-brace; H&R front sway bar; camber shims; M3 offset LCABs; Meyle HD LCAs; Z3 RSM reinforcement plates; ZHP shift knob.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Thanks for your comment So Live! As you say, this is a great car for daily use, at least in Europe.

Herebelow the conversion liter/km vs. gallon/mile :

For a trip Brussels - Amsterdam (distance about 154 miles/250 kms) at a cruising speed of 80 miles/hour (130 km/h), my car has a consumption of exactly 5 liters for 100 kms, no more no less. In other words, 18.92 gallons/62 miles. Or to make it easier for you 30.51 gallons/100 miles.

I used the following conversion hoping that I'm right...
    1 Liter = 3.78 gallons
    1 Km = 0.61 miles
    I think you may be a tad bit off. If your calculations were right, 30.51 gallons in 100 miles is an average of 3MPG. 1 liter is actually 0.264172052 US gallons, so going through that again, 5 liters being 1.32 gallons and 100 kilometers being 62 miles, you arrive closer to 47MPG, which is amazing, I might add.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    120d coupe
    Powerplus, this TT has nothing to do with this thread. The one you showed is a petrol!

My Cars
    120d coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah View Post
    I think you may be a tad bit off. If your calculations were right, 30.51 gallons in 100 miles is an average of 3MPG. 1 liter is actually 0.264172052 US gallons, so going through that again, 5 liters being 1.32 gallons and 100 kilometers being 62 miles, you arrive closer to 47MPG, which is amazing, I might add.
    I knew I would be wrong...thanks guys for having noticed the error.

From what you conclude, 47 MPG is indeed impressive from an engine of 228 HP...but that's a result thanks to BMW and my two engineers.
    Will keep you posted in May/june when a future stage 3 will be born...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Abt View Post
    Euhm, I started this thread and once in a while I thrown in a petrol result just for some viewing pleasure!
    ...after all, why not but I'm afraid they will be misleading. if i were you, I'd show only Diesel remaps', it makes much more sens, don't you think...
    You may always create another topic with petrol remap engines...right?

Quote Originally Posted by GT110 View Post
    I should make a trip to your dyno! You are not that far away.
    Dear neighboor,
    With my BMW-ONE.com community, we are planning to make a day trip to Luxemburg end of June/begin of July. You may be interested. But mostly diesel ones...You're most welcome! www.bmw-one.com
    Last edited by GETU; 02-11-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Nissan
    Der Abt, I quite like your signature pic of the Clio R27 versus the Green Hell. But in my mind especially considering you are in Belgium you should have a signature pic showing a car going through the Eau Rouge corners at the Spa circuit.
    I visited there in the early 80's to see the turbo F1 cars in their heyday and was completely blown away by what has to be the ballsiest drivers circuit (open wheel) in the world.
    For tintops (sedans) we've got Bathurst here in Oz which is another iconic race circuit I love.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.
    We are Tig Welders, gravity doesn't bother us.

My Cars
    95 525i
    regarding revving diesels past 4500 rpm or so
    i tohught it was due to the slow burn rate of diesel? ie there becomes a point were the rate of burn matches the piston speed so you dont really achieve much by revving higher?
    to over come this you need a shorter stroke motor or improve the burn rate? maybe this is possible with higher charge pressures?!?!?!
    Long time E34 owner
    Now E39 530D touring Sport Auto

My Cars
    95 525i
    ah longer stroke is what i meant i think, cant get my head around it right now lol
    Long time E34 owner
    Now E39 530D touring Sport Auto

My Cars
    330ZHP R1200GS E300D
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Anyone a little scared about how the cars are strapped there?

Nice pics though!

A little scared? see the picture where they have it looped around the ball on the hitch?

Using 1 strap on the rear attached to the tow eyelet is just asking for trouble, even with it being a dual roller.

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    I love my 335d. I wish I could by a small pickup truck with this same engine. The torque and the power are great...but mostly the torque. Even though I love this car, my favorite is still a high horsepower E36 turbo.

I can't wait to see what this tuner will be able to wring out of the tri-turbo M5xd that is supposed to come with 500hp and 650 ftlb from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by 95m3Lightweight View Post

A little scared? see the picture where they have it looped around the ball on the hitch?

Using 1 strap on the rear attached to the tow eyelet is just asking for trouble, even with it being a dual roller.
    The cars are also attached underneath to the jack points with t-hooks and or straps.
    Last edited by EMC; 09-06-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    330ZHP R1200GS E300D
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post

The cars are also attached underneath to the jack points with t-hooks and or straps.
    Not to hijack this thread as it is cool to see the pics posted. I installed a awd dyno for a vendor here and their insurance company had very specific requirements about securing a car on the dyno. I think most anyone who works with dyno's will do a double take when looking at these pictures.

Can you show me where on this photo?

BMW 745d
    Stock : 330hp and 750Nm
    Software tune : 400hp and 930Nm

Last edited by 95m3Lightweight; 09-06-2011 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    No pictures of it on the dyno, but i'll let you enjoy this crazy high speed drift picture...

BMW E60 530d - 2004
    Stock horsepower: (according to BMW) 218hp
    Software tune: 322hp (716nm if i remember correctly)

Lost the dyno slip a long time ago, but best 1/4mile was 13.7!
    Viktor Agnar Falk Gušmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    330ZHP R1200GS E300D
    [quote=Der Abt;22668683]More diesel drifting

[QUOTE]

Awesome!

I don't think it's attached underneath in that pic.
    But most tuners don't just use the tow eyelet and often also attach them underneath (if possible).
    Yea, I have installed, removed, built the pit etc for a dyno and have made more than a few runs on one myself, so thats why the strapping or lack of really caught my attention. It would royally suck if a strap or tow eyelet broke, and they do though it is not common.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    nice pics and impressive power gains.

The diesel revolution is only just becoming here in Australia. Diesel is more expensive here (slighly) than gas mainly due to higher demand from the mining industry.

I run a 2005 Landrover D3 and with the reflash the car just has so much torque even when towing a fully loaded car trailer. Unfortunatly thou its a dirty fuel and the oily mess inside my intake system mainly from the Exhaust gas recurculation system has caused the low pressure VVT blades not to work, requiring a whole new turbo installed at $3300 (ouch).
    We are just starting to discover that passenger cars with modern TD engines have so much grunt, and very frugal, and they dont sound too bad, well compared to the old school turbo engines.

I took an e60 520d for a drive the other day, and even though the specification is at the bottom of the food chain, the grunt this thing had from about 1700rpm was staggering. I could only imagine what a tuned 535d would be like
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    Toyota
    I blame California cuts diesel. Easier to adjust the vehicle to stop soon. I would like to get the Audi A3 2.0L Gadgets turbo diesel engine quattro. Oh, wait a minute to see if the sale of the 335d.
    Last edited by shenglu; 10-09-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast