Thread: was in denial--help, subframe bushing instructions.

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster

was in denial--help, subframe bushing instructions.

Ok, after reading all the post on the most popular modification it looks like the IE bushings win, so I just ordered mine. I did a search for instructions and found one post with instructions (no pictures) from over a year ago.
    But it did not have much on the removal of the old bushing, I see that some have made their own tool for removing.
    Where can i find some updated instructions for this job and for making the tool (or where can one be purchased)?
    After reading all the post I finally realized where all that rear steer was coming from----I was in denial, being a new Bmw owner I just couldn't believe that was happening with a modern Bmw, I thought that only happened on old British sports cars.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Daniel McRobb's writeup is very thorough http://www.rfdm.com/SubframeBushings/index.html

I haven't seen a post about the bushing removal tool in some time. You can try posting on the classifed section to see if you can rent/buy a used one. A search of the homemade bushing removal tool designed by forum member pbfut should turn up some instructions. If you run into a wall, I'll send you my own one-off tool for the cost of shipping

Last edited by KBH22102; 01-03-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    I'm sure someone with a tool will be here shortly to offer you a chance to rent it. Seriously, rent the tool, it makes it 100x easier and you know it'll work without hoping the homebrew will work. I rented mine for 50 + shipping, which wasn't bad at all. Instructions are everywhere, theres really not much to it. You might want to go on bimmerfest.com and do a search, I believe randy (or someone else) wrote a detailed how-to. I did the job when I was 18 and was my first "big" project on the car, took me 6 hours from start to finish so its not that hard of a job IMO

Edit: I wonder if anybody ever just rented a balljoint or similar press from the auto parts store.
    Last edited by IRPancake; 01-03-2009 at 12:32 AM.

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Ironically I think IR and I each did the job within 24 hours of each other last March. Your sig doesn't say where you are in California, but if you can hook up with a local forum member who has done the swap, that kind of experience is better than a detailed writeup
    Kelvin

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Ironically I think IR and I each did the job within 24 hours of each other last March. Your sig doesn't say where you are in California, but if you can hook up with a local forum member who has done the swap, that kind of experience is better than a detailed writeup
    saturday, march 22nd?

. on having someone there. There were a few times I would blankly stare at the instructions I printed out and wonder wtf I was supposed to do next. Having someone there thats done it before would make life so much easier

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    AT-AT
    Were in California are you?
    The search box is awesome..try it!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    The shadetree tool is my creation. I made my first one about 5 years ago. It is still in my tool box with more than a dozen cars on it. The tool is very simple, and no more difficult to use than the commercial tool if you know what you are doing. There are about 20 tools in circulation I made, and probably as many, others have built. If you lack experience pulling bushings, you risk making an error and creating more work for yourself. If you need instruction on how to remove a bushing, find a commercial tool.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    2K-Z3M and 2014 X1
    Yeah, I used the home made tool route from pbfub. It actually worked out great as I made sure to purchase the harden grade thread, washers and bolts. There is no doubt that the regular grade thread and bolts from local store will strip out. The tread, washers and bolts is the important part of this home made tool IMO.

Some people indicated disconnect the driveline from the differential (I did not). The most difficult step was trying to pivot the subframe off those two long treads. This step must be perform one side at a time. Overall, the process is not bad at all even consider I did not have a helper. It took me 8-10 hours and glad to experience this. I do appreciate very much on all the postings in this forum...couldn't have done it without the people here for the pointers. One last note is have those torque specs handy.

You already know is well worth the effect to install IE bushings so I won't give you my perspective on the result. Good luck and have fun!

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    OP, I'd be happy to lend a hand if needed if your in norcal or cencal region. Presuming you would be in possession of a tool though.

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    all very good info, thanks
    Thank you DBH22102, I might take you up on that, I will send you a pm.
    and thank you Matt for the offer, I will give a try myself first(have some experience with british car bushings) but you might hear from me if i have trouble----I live a little over an hour from you...out 140 from Merced to Oakhurst.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I have ammended Randy's or DWM's instructions to conform to my method which has worked great on 4-5 cars. I can whip this job out in 3 hours at this point. You 100% need a tool though. Pm me if you want my annotated write up.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    I have ammended Randy's or DWM's instructions to conform to my method which has worked great on 4-5 cars. I can whip this job out in 3 hours at this point. You 100% need a tool though. Pm me if you want my annotated write up.

I was able to get a copy of this (unless it's been updated) from a personal page you run through school. I think it's linked somewhere on this forum. It's printed out sitting in my DD right now.

To the OP: Get it, it's extremely informative.

To Scott: I'll be PMing you shortly!!!!!!

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    must be in my signature link than...
    Write Up With My Edits
    Last edited by fmcfad01; 01-03-2009 at 06:30 PM.