Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Replacing e36 Dashboard Bulbs

My Cars
    323i 1996

Post Guide to Replacing e36 Dashboard Bulbs

Hi guys,

New to the forum...

2 main bulbs blew in my dash recently and after searching the net, i didnt find any comprehensive guide to taking the dash out, so now that i successfully replaced the bulbs i thought i would put a few tips on how i did it for future reference.

Firstly to confirm, you do not need to disable the airbag at all as a few people where asking online.

1) Simply remove the 2 screws holding the dash (need a T20 screwdriver)

2) You then need to just pull the dash out, some people pry it away with a flat screw driver but i didnt like the idea of damaging the dash, so instead i took my sat nav suction mount and stuck it to the dash and pulled it out.

3) After pulling the dash forward, you then need to unplug the 3 harnesses / plugs from behind. This a bit tricky because you dont just pull the plugs out. There is a clip and leaver on the back of each plug that need to be un done in order to release the plugs. Its quite difficult to explain without a picture but if you use a small mirror to look behind the dash you should be able to understand how they unclip.
    But definitely dont just force the plugs out, undoing the clips will make them come out effortlessly.

The 3 plugs are: 1x small black plug, 1x large blue plug, 1x large white plug

4) After removing them, you can then slide the whole dash out by tilting the steering wheel down (if you have a tilt steering wheel) and simply manouvering the dash out towards the drivers door as there is more space on that side.

Once you have the dash out, you have access to all the bulbs, you do not need to take anything else apart.

All the bulbs are labeled on the plastic.
    There are 3 types of bulbs in the dash, small bulbs with a black holder which there should be quite a few of them.
    Small bulbs with a white holder.
    Also there are 3 bulbs with green holders, these 3 bulbs are the ones that light up the backlight of the whole dash with that "reddy" glow.

Black holder bulbs = 509T bulb (1.2w) Though 509T bulbs from my local shop didnt have the groove on the back like the original bulbs so for these maybe better to go back to the dealership.

White holder bulbs = not too sure as i didnt remove any of them but should be available from any auto store.

Green holder bulbs = 504 bulb (3w)

Then you put everything back together in the reverse order.

Hope this helps a few people out, as its a simple job to do once you know how.

My Cars
    94 325 always in pieces
    cool info. I have only replaced the bulbs that are for the climate control knobs, and the headlight switch. None of them ever lit up since I bought the car. I wasn't even aware that my headlight switch was supposed to light up

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    nice

My Cars
    97 328IS
    Is there a way to replace the bulbs in the power window switches too? Thanks for the write up, the bulb for my temp guage is out, now i can finally fix it

98 328IS
    DDM Tuning headlamps, 55w HID, 3k 35w HID Fogs, DDM M3 bumper, DDM splitters, smoked corners, Blackout Grills,
    17" ///M Parallel Wheels staggered, DDM Angel Eyes,
    Blackout Tails, M3 Exhaust

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '87 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbmw325I View Post
    cool info. I have only replaced the bulbs that are for the climate control knobs, and the headlight switch. None of them ever lit up since I bought the car. I wasn't even aware that my headlight switch was supposed to light up

the headlight switch lights up? really?? fog light too?

pac0 is offline Stanceologistically Erect
    My Cars
    02 540i/6
    Nice info. I have seen a write up on this before though people may also get confused by you calling it the "dash" as it is the "gauge cluster".

E39|X5|E38 $90 MID RADIO PIXEL REPAIR - PM FOR DETAILS

My Cars
    Subway
    so if I need to replace the bulbs behind the coolant Temp gauge and the fuel gauge, what bulbs do I get?

My Cars
    '97 328IS
    Headlight switch bulb is on w/ key on; so they burn out quickly.

My Cars
    Subway
    Slightly unrelated... For the dials in the non-digital climate control, what it supposed to light up? currently nothing lights up besides the buttons and I'd like the temp knob and upper vent/feet vent/ defrost knob to light up but they don't. Are they supposed to?

My Cars
    640d, X1 X23d, 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by dan32888 View Post
    Slightly unrelated... For the dials in the non-digital climate control, what it supposed to light up? currently nothing lights up besides the buttons and I'd like the temp knob and upper vent/feet vent/ defrost knob to light up but they don't. Are they supposed to?
    Yup. Welcome to my world! They work when they want too.. I'll fix it one of these days.

My Cars
    323i 1996
    so if I need to replace the bulbs behind the coolant Temp gauge and the fuel gauge, what bulbs do I get?
    This is exactly the bulbs i changed today if we are interpreting it in the same way.

There are 3 bulbs that give the whole dashboard that reddy glow, they are 3w bulbs, sounds like the 2 side ones are out, just as mine where.

The bulb looks like the side light bulb that you put in your front lights, but its 3w capless bulb! I know it as a "504 bulb"

My Cars
    2004-325i, 2005-530i,

Yup

There is one bulb that has clear channels that direct the light to illuminate the gauge. You will need to pull off the big knobs. Behind them are some phillps screws. Once you remove these the face will fall off revealing the bulb.

My Cars
    Subway
    Quote Originally Posted by whonneb View Post
    There is one bulb that has clear channels that direct the light to illuminate the gauge. You will need to pull off the big knobs. Behind them are some phillps screws. Once you remove these the face will fall off revealing the bulb.
    I know I know. I yanked them off. What bulbs do I get though?

My Cars
    2004-325i, 2005-530i,

bulb size

It is the same bulb size as the one for the climate I believe. It has been a while since I changed mine

I know I know. I yanked them off. What bulbs do I get though?

My Cars
    Mercedes
    How do you remove the A/C/temp plastic face?

My Cars
    BMW
    do they make LED bulbs of these sizes?

1997bmwe36 is offline BMW - Roof = =D BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 318ic E30 325is
    no more Airbag light!! (JK)

My Cars
    1997 M3
    I believe that when you remove the gauge cluster, you should disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait for 20 minutes to ensure you don't trip the airbag light.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997bmwe36 View Post
    no more Airbag light!! (JK)
    I unplugged my bulb and the thing still lights up!!!

My Cars
    1998 328i, 2007 328i
    My temp. gauge does not always light up, but I just give the dashboard a little smack and it comes to life.

In cars without a tilt wheel, is it possible to remove the cluster without taking the wheel off?

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rtd328 View Post
    My temp. gauge does not always light up, but I just give the dashboard a little smack and it comes to life.

In cars without a tilt wheel, is it possible to remove the cluster without taking the wheel off?
    Yes. The wheel has to be turned a little. Itll wiggle out.

My Cars
    93 318i, 05 325i, 05 Nissan Titan, 03 Jeep
    I used a 194LL...I replaced all three at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by MJFX328 View Post
    I unplugged my bulb and the thing still lights up!!!
    Same thing here man...I have no bulb in that spot and the light flashes on start up and then steady after a few minutes...WTF!!!!

My Cars
    2001 330ci
    my 97 328i doesnt seem to have the tilt option. there is no lever under the steering wheel. so will i have a hard time removing hte cluster, or do i have to remove the steering wheel??

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by iwantbmwm3 View Post
    my 97 328i doesnt seem to have the tilt option. there is no lever under the steering wheel. so will i have a hard time removing hte cluster, or do i have to remove the steering wheel??
    No you dont have to.

My Cars
    97 318is 5spd
    does anyone know the bulb type that lights up the odometer. that's the only thing giving me problems, and if it's as easy as you all say it is, i'd like to replace it.

Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast