Thread: Reset 'Service Engine Soon" Light on 2001 330ci

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 2006 Supercharged Honda Civic SI

Reset 'Service Engine Soon" Light on 2001 330ci

Hello,

I am new to this site and new to BMW's. On Monday I picked up 2001 330ci from my local dealer. The dealer stated they did a full inspection and charged the oil (replaced all the brakes and rotors as well). Anyway, I was driving to the store and the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. I know everything has already been done so I just need to reset the light so it goes off.

I checked on line and followed the instructions for resetting the light for a 2001 525 posted by BMWTIPS.com, but it did not work.

Here is what I did:

With the odometer button depressed I turned the key to the #1 position. "Inspection" came up with Reset so I took my finger off the odometer button. I then pressed the odometer button again until "Reset" started flashing. I then pressed the odometer button again which I think reset the interval. I then turned the key off.

I guess I did something wrong because the "Service Engine Soon" light is still on. I tried the process again, but now the reset light will not flash, it just shows Oil Service and then goes to "END SIA".

Can someone help me out here, the light is making me crazy and I can't get back to the dealer for them to fix it anytime soon.

Thanks

My Cars
    330i ZHP
    Here is what i found..

Start with Ignition Off (Position 0)
    Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)
    Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or "Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display*
    Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs.
    until "Reset" or "Re" flashes While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval.
    After the display has shown the new interval you should see "END SIA" for about 2 seconds
    Note: that if the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset

2004 Black Sapphire 330i ZHP

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Why is it inconceivable that something mechanically has gone wrong with your car? I'd take it back to the dealer and tell them to look at it.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    you can not reset the service eng soon light with teh odo buttons. you have a problem that the dme does not like. take it back to the dealer and get it scanned.

this is not rocket science.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    The Service Engine Soon light is NOT the same as the service interval indicator (OILSERVICE or INSPECTION).

The service interval indicator is the car's internal mileage countdown until you need a scheduled service. It is briefly displayed when you first insert the key. It alternates between OILSERVICE and INSPECTION. The interval starts with 15,525 miles displayed, and counts down to zero (and into the negatives), at which time you perform the scheduled service and reset the interval.

The Service Engine Soon (SES) light, on the other hand, tells you that something is wrong with the car. It's an enhanced OBDII system: A system of diagnostic codes. When the car detects a problem, it will record the relevant code and the SES light will illuminate. You can read out this code with an OBDII scanner or a BMW-specific diagnostic tool. The SES light can be reset with these tools, but if the fault has been not repaired, the code will come back and the SES will light up again. On the other hand, some codes will temporarily go away by themselves.

Since you just bought it, take it back to the selling dealer and POLITELY ask for assistance. If you're very lucky (or flash some cleavage) they will diagnose and repair the problem. If you're moderately lucky they might read the codes for you. If you're unlucky they will turn you away, saying the car is sold "AS-IS" - quite shady, but not as bad as removing or disbling the light altogether, which has been known to happen.

Let us know what the seller says. If they won't help you, or if they will only provide the codes, we can give you some further advice.

Also of note:
    You have now reset your service interval, as noted in the first paragraph. This will screw up your scheduled maintenance plan. You may have been near due for an inspection and/or oil change. What's the current mileage on the car? Do you know if the seller performed any services before you picked it up?

My Cars
    Ford Corsair,Cortina,Transit,325iA/4
    This has happened to me. It took about a week to go out as which is a normal thing for this problem. No codes were stored when it reset, go figure. SES light is related to the emission components and also the way the computer checks for fuel leaks. Hope this is your problem, no cost.

Check the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RoaderBi; 11-25-2008 at 10:17 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW33Ci
    I had the service engine soon light on, and want to share the history. The light came on out of the no where I had the car for at least 6 days, is used with 59000 miles, I did add to the car Lucas injector cleaner when the car was full a week ago, and now was 1/4 so any way the light came on, so I took the cap off, and drive the car to the gas station, and fill the car with more premium fuel and full the car, and then I put the cap back and thigh, remember I drove the car for 2 miles with no cap. I just want to said that in my case maybe was a glitch. or at least I hope it is.

My Cars
    2010 bmw m3
    I'd take it back to the dealer and tell them to look at it.
    Last edited by castepatri; 12-09-2012 at 09:53 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330Ci
    I have a 2002 330ci with SES light on. Using an OBD II pocket scan from Actron (CP9125) NO codes are present. Do I need a more feature rich OBD? I have tried the clear function...nothing. I've tried the odo button hold...no change. Very confused.

My Cars
    2001 330CI
    So I have a 2001 330ci with a Check Engine Light issue. It states that the thermostat is open, but the thermostat has now been replaced twice as well as the three sensors. So the conclusion is that the DME is faulty. Apparently, the DMEs on 330ci's used in races have been having problems. In any case, a scanner erased the fault and the light is off for now. If the engine heats up to normal and you have no problems with heating the interior of the car and there are no other issues like fuel efficiency, then it is likely that the DME is faulty. The scanner I used and seemed fine to me is Icarsoft BMM V1.0.

However, in your case since you just bought it, I would take it back and tell them what happened. They probably didn't give a warranty on it but they might reset it for you.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmith2inc View Post
    I have a 2002 330ci with SES light on. Using an OBD II pocket scan from Actron (CP9125) NO codes are present. Do I need a more feature rich OBD? I have tried the clear function...nothing. I've tried the odo button hold...no change. Very confused.
    You need a better scanner. INPA is free, except for the cable which costs around $20. If a cheap OBD II scanner doesn't see the error then it's probably a BMW-specific code. Until you fix it you'll never get the light to turn off.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)