Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil for a 01 740i w/ 131k miles

My Cars
    740i, X5, Prelude

Motor Oil for a 01 740i w/ 131k miles

Hey guys, what motor oil is best for my '01 740 with 131k miles??? I am going to change the oil myself (not my first oil change, but 1st on this car). What oil filter??? What else do you guys recommend I check???

Also, does anyone know where to go to get this done at if I didn't want to do it (jiffy lube places any good) ??? And please don't tell me the dealer cuz I called them and they told me $350 for an oil change and some other BS!!!

one last thing, how long do I have to be a member for in order to post pics???

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    OEM filter from the dealer or oembimmerparts.com
    Mobile1 10w-40 full synthetic

You can post pics right now

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Search!! Topic has been discussed to death

My Cars
    740i, X5, Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by 740fizza View Post
    Search!! Topic has been discussed to death
    different cars require different oil weigh???

Its easier to say 10w40, than saying what you said...im still trying to familiarize myself to the site! gosh!

anyone gone to any of those quick oil change places like jiffy lube, oil can henry's????
    Last edited by tavo80816; 11-06-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 740IL
    Yea, OEM filter is best, but I haven't seen anything wrong with filters you get from Autozone or Pepboys. Previous owner put in 15w-50 Mobile 1 full synthetic on my car, but I've just changed to 10w-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic since the weather is getting colder now. I believe the dealer uses Castrol in BMW bottles full synthetic and they recommend 0w-40 (someone correct me if i'm wrong here).

My Cars
    '95 BMW 740IL
    I've been told BMW 5W-30 full synthetic is the way to go.

mcallister

My Cars
    01 740I
    Quote Originally Posted by tavo80816 View Post
    one last thing, how long do I have to be a member for in order to post pics???
    You need to have 20 posts to post pics. There is a way around it, which is posting the pic in your signature.

My Cars
    '95 BMW 740IL
    $350?? No way. I get mine done for $99 dollars at the BMW dealership.

mcallister

My Cars
    740i, X5, Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
    $350?? No way. I get mine done for $99 dollars at the BMW dealership.

mcallister
    I know! I was surprised myself....they told me that they check out the whole car, change the air filters etc etc...I told him I just want an oil change...he said $350...that guy's on crack...i just might stop by and ask them in person...$99 sounds right....he also told me that my car needs 5w-30 synthetic.

btw....is the oil change on a 740 pretty straight forward (like changing the oil on a Honda?)???
    Last edited by tavo80816; 11-06-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    None. Got a sportster.
    oil change is pretty standard. stay away from jiffylube/walmart/pep boys etc. those guys don't give a rat's ass about your car, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
    Your opinion is based on a mistaken notion and lack of knowledge. It's your right to HAVE that opinion, but it's my right to tell you it's wrong..

Presiding chairman, founder, and chief complainant of the NAALP: the National Association for the Advancement of Left-lane Passing

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ...Also, does anyone know where to go to get this done at if I didn't want to do it (jiffy lube places any good) ???

Stick around long enough and you'll begin to see a trend of Jiffy Lube horror stories. The e39 forum just had it's latest last month. Read, live, and learn.

And you wouldn't believe how INCREDIBLY easy an oil change is on an e38. It takes approx 20-30 minutes tops once you've assembled your filter, oil, drain pan, and correct tools. And if you throw a pair of disposable latex gloves in the mix...you won't even get any oil under your fingernails.

And you can actually do it without jack stands if you're waist line is less than 60" because it's possible to reach under the car and open the trap door to undo the oil pan drain bolt if you don't have ramps or a jack.

There's a great oil change write-up with pics and instructions on www.e38.org
    Here's a link to the threads:

The horror begins (10-14-08): http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1099578

The resolution thread (10-25-08): http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1106726
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2005 X3 3.0i
    I know! I was surprised myself....they told me that they check out the whole car, change the air filters etc etc...I told him I just want an oil change...he said $350...that guy's on crack...i just might stop by and ask them in person...$99 sounds right....he also told me that my car needs 5w-30 synthetic.
    Sounds like they were adding to your oil change a few items from the list of actions to be done with an Inspection I. Check your owner's manual (service manual may be separate depending on your year) to see what is included with Inspection I, or search this board for that phrase. I'm pretty sure a list of the Inspection I/II items has been posted, probably by the legendary Q himself.

Even the dealer here in NorCal will do a simple oil change for $110 (lower with a coupon).

-pd.

My Cars
    740i, X5, Prelude
    I hate being on a budget now after buying my 740....but I'll try the dealer again for sure...btw, how many quarts of oil does the 740 need???

My Cars
    1999 740IL
    8 quarts considering you fully drained the system. It's pretty easy to do it yourself. I just reach under there with a socket wrench. Oil filter is on top, so that's easy.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    If you don't use BMW 5w-30 synthetic, use a BMW Longlife-01 approved synthetic. The easiest to find in the US is Mobil 1 0w-40 (Walmart has it). This is the only Longlife-01 approved Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 tech support will tell you this is the best choice among their synthetic oils for a BMW. Castrol 0w-30 is also a good choice but it's made in Europe and harder to find in the US (some Autozones have it). There are many more options outside of the US (http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/s...onglife-01.pdf). All Longlife-01 approved oils are suitable for all ambient temperatures.

My Cars
    1998 740i
    I have posted this more than once here. When I called BMWNA and asked them what weight and brand to use in my 98 740i they told me 5w 30 in Mobile 1, Valvoline, or Castrol fully synthetic. I sometimes think this oil brand, and weight thing can get way overblown. As long as you use a quality brand and change it when due, you should be OK. And as I have said before, your climate is key for proper weight.

Hell, the best thing you can do is spend a minute or two and call BMWNA and ask them what they recommend for your year car and climate.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    The BMWNA customer service folks do not provide technical support to customers - use what they say at your own risk - they have told me the same thing they told you but they will also admit they do not have access to technical information. Better to go by what BMW DE says and use BMW Longlife-01 approved oils, especially if you are going to go by the dashboard LEDs.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    June 2006
    Technical Service SI B11 08 98
    Engine This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. 11 08 98 dated October 2005.
    [NEW] designates changes to this revision
    SUBJECT
    BMW Engine Oils MODEL
    All E-Series from MY 1999 to present. SITUATION
    Starting with the introduction of the 1999 3 Series (E46), BMW introduced an extended oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles depending on engine operating conditions. The engine oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles has been carried over to all 2001 BMW models. However, engine oil should be changed at least once a year. This revision (annual oil change) is retroactive to earlier model years and is included in the BMW Maintenance Plan.
    To coincide with the increased oil change interval, BMW also introduced "BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil" SAE 5W-30.
    [NEW] Castrol, the supplier of the High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30, is now producing this oil domestically to ensure supply to the growing demand. The oil color may appear to be lighter due to different additive pack and base stocks used, however the performance specifications remain the same. It is fully compatible with other stock of the familiar amber color.
    BMW recommends the use of BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 or Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil on all models as outlined below whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage.

Synthetic Engine Oil Recommendations
    Synthetic Engine Oil Benefits
    BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 and Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil offers several benefits over conventional mineral based oils.
    These oils have been durability tested on BMW engines and supply superior lubrication under all operating conditions and over the extended BMW oil change intervals.
    ^ Superior thermal stability The synthetic based oil resists thickening at very low ambient temperatures providing improved flow, lubrication and less internal engine resistance during cold starts.
    Under high heat conditions, the oil resists thermal breakdown/shearing which causes a loss of lubrication quality with conventional oils.
    Using BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil eliminates the need for seasonal oil changes since it covers all ambient temperature ranges.
    ^ Superior lubrication throughout the life of the oil Compared to conventional engine oils, BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil is better able to keep engine combustion contaminants in suspense and is less susceptible to the harmful effects of oxidation.
    The oil resists sludge build up thus allowing extended oil change intervals. Synthetic based oils also have a lower volatility which makes them less susceptible to evaporation thereby reducing oil consumption.
    1999 Model Year and Later Oil Recommendation
    BMW High Performance Synthetic oil must be used on all 1999 and later BMW vehicles which have oil change intervals of approximately 15,000 miles (except M5 produced up to 3/00 and E46 M3, E36 M roadster and M coupe with S54 engines) as stated in the owners manual. In addition, there is a label affixed to the engine cover which states the oil specifications and refers to the BMW website and toll free number for additional information.
    M5 and Z8 Oil Recommendation
    ^ The M5 up to 3/00 production requires a specially formulated synthetic engine oil - Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 and is the only approved oil for this engine. ^ Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil must be used on M5 models produced up to 3/00 whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage and is available under BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420 (1 liter bottle). Notes : For logistical reasons Castrol Formula SAE RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil has been renamed and is now called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil. Since the formulation has remained the same it is sold under the same BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420. Only if a customer needs to top up oil between oil changes and Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil is not available is it permissible to use synthetic engine oils with a lower viscosity which conforms to the API classification SH or higher.
    However engine oil consumption will increase when Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic is diluted (topped up with other low viscosity synthetic engine oils).
    M5 (S62 engine) produced from 3/00 and all Z8:
    ^ The S62 engine incorporates redesigned piston rings from 3/00 which permit the use of BMW High Performance Synthetic Engine Oil SAE 5W-30. ^ The recommended engine oil for all Z8 vehicles and M5 vehicles (produced from 3/00) is BMW High Performance Synthetic Engine Oil SAE 5W-30. Note : Refer to Service Information bulletin 11 04 00 for S62 engine oil level checking procedure. [NEW] E60 M5, E63 M6 with the S85 engine.
    ^ Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic oil. Note : This engine is equipped with an electronic oil level check. Follow the procedure in SI B11 01 06 and in the owner's manual for proper checking of the oil level. E46 M3, Z3 and Z4 M roadsters, Z3 and Z4 M coupes:
    All with S54 engines Oil Recommendations
    ^ All M models with the S54 engines require the use of Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil and is the only approved oil for this engine. ^ Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil must be used on E46 M3, E36 M roadster and M coupe with S54 engines whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage and is available under BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420 (1 liter bottle). Notes : For logistical reasons Castrol Formula SAE RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil has been renamed and is now called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil. Since the formulation has remained the same it is sold under the same BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420. Only if a customer needs to top up oil between oil changes and Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil is not available is it permissible to use synthetic engine oils with a lower viscosity which conforms to the API classification SH or higher.
    However engine oil consumption will increase when Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic is diluted (topped up with other low viscosity synthetic engine oils).
    Note : Refer to Service Information bulletin 11 04 00 for S54 engine oil level checking procedure. 1998 Model Year and Earlier Oil Recommendation
    BMW High Performance Synthetic engine oil may also be used on earlier BMW models.
    BMW High Performance Synthetic engine oil is included and may be claimed on all vehicles covered under the BMW Maintenance Plan.
    BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil will replace BMW approved Special Oils. The oil change intervals should not be extended due to the greater durability of a fully synthetic engine oil. The engine oil and filter should always be changed as per the vehicle's Service Indicator when the
    "Oil Service" or the "Inspection" display appears regardless of the type of oil being used. BMW mineral based High Performance engine oil is also offered for model year 1998 and earlier BMW models. However, for reliable engine performance in all temperature ranges mineral based engine oil viscosity must be matched to the temperature range at which the vehicle will be operated.
    See the Temperature - Viscosity chart in the Owners Manual or Operating Fluids Manual for further information.
    ^ Engine Oil Additives The use of engine oil additives is not recommended and not necessary on BMW engines. Instead, it is mandatory to use BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil in 1999 model year and later BMW models, Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil in M5 S62 models produced up to 3/00 and E46 M3, E36 M roadster and M coupe with S54 engines.
    Also recommended is the use of either BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil, BMW High Performance Mineral Oil or one of today's highly advanced brand name lubricating oils conforming to API classification SH or higher in 1998 and earlier BMW models.
    PARTS INFORMATION
    As part of the BMW global alliance with CASTROL we are changing our private label engine oil supplier for both mineral and synthetic engine oils. As part of this change, the synthetic engine oil will now be a SAE 5W-30 oil which covers the same temperature range as the SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil.
    BMW engine oils are available under the part numbers shown.
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Information only.

My Cars
    1998 740i
    I do not go by the service leds, if I did, my oil change would be more than 15k. Almost every Indy I have talked to recommends around 7500 miles or maybe more. Could be this is quite premature for synthetic oil, but I do know it doesn't cause any harm to change the oil more often than absolutely necessary.

BMWNA, is going to give info based on the side of caution. If they give bad advice, I am sure it will come back to haunt them.

My Cars
    1999 740IL
    I won't trust the 15,000 mile oil change interval. I'd say 5000 max for synthetic. Oil change is cheaper than an engine.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    when i first heard BMW say 15000, as a mechanic, I died laughing! I honestly think they did that just so they could save on their free 2-3 years of maintenance. Though test have shown the synthetic will last up to 4 times longer before breaking down, that's in a lab, not my 7 sitting in traffic and blasting down the highway. I personally change my filter every 3k and the synthetic fluid every 6k. Takes some of the sting out of 5-6 dollar a quart oil.

My Cars
    740i, X5, Prelude
    Ok so I called McKenna BMW in Whittier, CA and talked to another person in the service dept. I told her I only wanted a simple oil change (oil and filter only) and she told me $251.53!!!! WTF!!! She told me that they had to reset some sensor??? I guess its the one that triggers the service light on the dash??? Is she probably talking about a newer BMW, cuz I told her a 2001 740.....geez!!!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Do it yourself man. The filter is like $25 and you can buy 2 gallons of mobile 1 5w-30 at walmart for less than $30. maybe cost you $150 bucks the first time if you pick up a set of wheel ramps and a oil pan to drain into, 1 wrench, a pair of channel locks for the filter cap, and a cheap reset tool.

My Cars
    740i, X5, Prelude
    I have all the tools, I use to have a track car (AWD DSM)...so I know how to work on cars, its just that the whole thing that lady told me about a reseting a sensor kinda tripped me out...im also kinda lazy...lol...nursing school takes most of my time.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Yeah i know the lazy part, I'm a mechanic and I don't wanna do my own oil changes. Look on e38.org and it will show you how to reset the indicator, i believe you run a jumper wire between pin 7 and 19 for 3 seconds to reset the oil change and 10 seconds for inspection light. BMW is a ripoff hands down 99% of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast