Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is how to program your OBDII e36 remote keyless entry FOB

My Cars
    97 M3, 99 M Coupe, 06 M3
    Followed the procedure in this thread, but initially I could not get the car into learning mode. My mistake was that I was performing Step 7 (Cycle from the off position to the (“almost start” ) too slowly. On the second attempt I performed step 7 quickly and the car chirped twice and went into learning mode! I followed the remaining steps and my replacement fob is now programmed and works perfectly.
    Last edited by DonM3Z; 07-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    1995 325IS, 1998 328IC
    I replaced the battery in my fob. I'm following the procedure and it puts the car into learning mode(chirps, etc.) but my remote is not working. Also, the LED on the fob is on all the time and I'm guessing it shouldn't be. Does anyone have a solution or experience with the problem?

My Cars
    97 M3, 99 M Coupe, 06 M3
    SixFix,

If the light on your remote is on all the time, then it's probably broken. I had the same issue with my old remote where the red light would stay on constantly and afterwards I could not disarm the car. I just purchased a replacement remote on Ebay which worked great!

My Cars
    97' 328i
    Has anyone figured out how to correct their fob so the tiny red light isn't always on?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Armonia View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to correct their fob so the tiny red light isn't always on?
    I dissasembled the 2 main screws and the 3 tiny screws on the circuit board. I cleaned it thoroughly and sometimes the light will stay on but sometimes i will only turn on when I press the buttons ( which is what I want ). It's too unreliable and still won't work when I tried to program it with my 97' 328i.
    As I dissasembled it I noticed that they use a plastic casing for the board and the buttons. I think that is the main source of the problem. But I will wait to see if others have engineered a way to fix it before I start re-modeling this fob

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Armonia View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I dissasembled the 2 main screws and the 3 tiny screws on the circuit board. I cleaned it thoroughly and sometimes the light will stay on but sometimes i will only turn on when I press the buttons ( which is what I want ). It's too unreliable and still won't work when I tried to program it with my 97' 328i.
    As I dissasembled it I noticed that they use a plastic casing for the board and the buttons. I think that is the main source of the problem. But I will wait to see if others have engineered a way to fix it before I start re-modeling this fob

RESOLVED RED LIGHT CONSTANT ON ISSUE!
    So it was a mechanically engineered problem the whole time. I just removed the plastic grey buttons (forever) and the rubber casing no longer gets stuck. The downside is that I have to put my finger in the fob and touch the rubber casing... you're the only one that needs to know ! I'm very satisfied because I saved myself $90 that it would have cost for a new key-less entry fob! Hopefully this helps! There was a ton of gook from the fob that I cleaned with ear swabbies, hopefully if you're having the same problem- it might just be some gook in the button!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Worked great! Thanks so much!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323Ic
    Great help. Must say though, someone should add somewhere that after cycling the keys five times, that you need to leave the ignition in the off position. I spent like ten minutes trying to program my key before realizing that my key had to be in the off position.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by FitzRoger View Post
    So, you have a new two button BMW remote for a '96-'99 e36 and it’s not programmed to your car?

Every time I need to do this I have to search several sites to get various parts to the procedure, since they seem to leave out a step or two. Here is my very cut and dry instructions for the two button OBDII remote programming. Keep in mind, the remote does not get programmed; the car learns to recognize the remote’s signals; allowing it to lock/unlock your car, and for it to arm/disarm the car's security system. Let's also not forget the panic alarm which sounds after holding the big button for a couple of seconds, and the cancelation of the panic alarm by holding the small button down for a couple of seconds. If there are any questions or I have anything wrong, please let me know and I will update the information.

Thanks,

FitzRoger

1. Close the doors, hood, and trunk with car unlocked.
    2. Open the trunk lid.
    3. Open the driver’s door.
    4. Sit in the driver’s seat.
    5. Close the driver’s door.
    6. Put the key in the ignition. You must do these first five steps within 45 seconds.
    7. Cycle from the off position to the (“almost start”) second position five times. Do this step within 10 seconds.
    8. Open the driver’s door.
    9. Close the driver’s door.
    10. On the remote: Press the large button.
    11. On the remote: Press the small button.
    12. On the remote: Press the large button and hold until it flashes once.
    13. On the remote: Press the small button and hold until it flashes once.
    14. Up to four remotes can be recognized by the car’s alarm system. As they are recorded, the oldest remote information will be overwritten.
    15. Open the driver’s door.
    16. Get out of the car.
    17. Close the trunk lid.
    18. Close the driver’s door.
    19. The programming is complete.
    20. Test the new remote(s)
    21. Enjoy

my FOB is the only one button model, I have a 325is 1992. I have a couple extra FOB's I have got on eBay. I wonder if this step by step works with earlier models like mine with only one button. Thanks in advance, I think I want to try it, because right now, I have only one in working order and I am scared that it stops working.
    Last edited by ivantxu; 09-16-2014 at 01:42 AM.

My Cars
    99 328ic,'01 325xi,'05X3
    So, you have a new two button BMW remote for a '96-'99 e36 and it’s not programmed to your car?

Every time I need to do this I have to search several sites to get various parts to the procedure, since they seem to leave out a step or two. Here is my very cut and dry instructions for the two button OBDII remote programming. Keep in mind, the remote does not get programmed; the car learns to recognize the remote’s signals; allowing it to lock/unlock your car, and for it to arm/disarm the car's security system. Let's also not forget the panic alarm which sounds after holding the big button for a couple of seconds, and the cancelation of the panic alarm by holding the small button down for a couple of seconds. If there are any questions or I have anything wrong, please let me know and I will update the information.

Thanks,

FitzRoger

1. Close the doors, hood, and trunk with car unlocked.
    2. Open the trunk lid.
    3. Open the driver’s door.
    4. Sit in the driver’s seat.
    5. Close the driver’s door.
    6. Put the key in the ignition. You must do these first five steps within 45 seconds.
    7. Cycle from the off position to the (“almost start”) second position five times. Do this step within 10 seconds.
    8. Open the driver’s door.
    9. Close the driver’s door.
    10. On the remote: Press the large button.
    11. On the remote: Press the small button.
    12. On the remote: Press the large button and hold until it flashes once.
    13. On the remote: Press the small button and hold until it flashes once.
    14. Up to four remotes can be recognized by the car’s alarm system. As they are recorded, the oldest remote information will be overwritten.
    15. Open the driver’s door.
    16. Get out of the car.
    17. Close the trunk lid.
    18. Close the driver’s door.
    19. The programming is complete.
    20. Test the new remote(s)
    21. Enjoy

Glad to see this thread bumped up! I got a '99 328ic E36 a couple of months ago & the PO never used his 2-Button Remote (like in the pic) but gave it to me with the car. I finally tried programming this thing this morning & could not get it to work. It would only "chirp" when I would "disarm" the alarm but it wouldn't Lock/Unlock the doors. The LED light does come on if I hit either button but it's not the brightest. I'm going to try to first replace the Battery & give it another shot. What's the cost to replace the remote (my only one) if it is a bad remote? I could really care less if the alarm works or not (live in a small country town) but really want the Keyless Entry if I can get it to work.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Those instructions are wrong. The ones in this thread will work

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2#post19365432

For all the info you'll need on the US spec e36 alarm system.....http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...s-Alarm-Thread
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 09-18-2014 at 08:38 AM.

My Cars
    2001 540i
    At some point you need to remove the key from the ignition. That should really be Step 14.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Also keep in mind that the Subaru’s were using the same two button remote as shown in the photo above. Hope this helps.
    This was a huge piece of information that helped me out. For the last 3 years or so my key FOB case was falling apart, cracked screw holes, loose fitting, it was havoc. All I needed was a case but couldn't find one without having to buy a complete alarm system. Knowing that Subaru also had the same case, managed to find a replacement in under 3 minutes on eBay. Thank you for this information.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123