Thread: Climate Control Computer Module

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i Sedan

Climate Control Computer Module

Hello everyone,

I have a 99 323is. I've been have a couple of problems. The first is with the Climate Control Computer Module. It has been acting like it has a short circuit. The display goes dim and the unit flashes on and off intermittantly. This means there is no reliable A/C, heater, or fan. The part costs $500 from bavarian autoport. Is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole unit? Has anyone else had this problem? How difficult is the unit to replace? What is the cause of the failure?

The other problem is that my airbag indicator has lit up and now will not go off. Another post for a 7-series indicates that this could cost $700 to diagnose and fix. Anyone know what caused this indicator to go off? Any tricks to fix this?
    Thanks, hope to hear from all of you soon.

My Cars
    '96 OBDI 328i, '95 540i
    Mine did this too. It's a common problem amongst e36 '96 and on with digital climate controls. Basically its a micro farad capacitor that either goes bad or the solder disgrades on the ends. For me the solder just degraded and resoldered the ends. Hopefully this is your problem.

Here is a DIY digital climate control fix:
    http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=186498
    -'95 E34 540i/6sp (daily driver)
    K&N CAI, Dinan Chip, Short Thow Shifter, Eisemann exhaust, Mostly Stock
    -'92 B13 Sentra SE-R/5sp (project car)
    SR20DET swap and more

-'96 E36 328i/5Sp (Sold)
    OBDI Converted 2.8, TRM Chip, S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, M3 3.23 LSD, M3 rear sway bar, Gripforce clutch/ 16lb flywheel, Ark cat-back exhaust, Modified stock air-box w/ K&N filter,Bavauto CDV, Samco intake boot, R1 concept slot/drilled rotors, PBR/Axis UTL pads, Fan Delete Mod, UUC underdrive pulleys, Depo headlights w/ 6000k hids, Depo fog lights w/ 8000k hids, clear corners, Bavauto caliper bushing upgrade, UUC RTAB, Bimmeworld Subframe Mounts, AKG Diff. Mounts, UUC tranny mounts, Custom Interior, FK Coilovers, New Front suspension, SS replica headers, SS resonators, oem rear M bumper,Rebuilt Vanos, Home Depot Lip more to come...
    Future mods: Ported throttle body, Custom Tune.
    328 Mafia #13
    -'05 Dodge NSrt-4 (dead)
    Too many mods to list.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '95 300zxtt
    +1 on the capacitor fix.

For the airbag light, you will need to get your hands on a Peake SRS tool and run the diagnostic.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i Sedan
    WOW, reflowed solder joint as directed and reinstalled unit in car. Surprise, surprise, it actually worked! They must have not allowed enough time for a good solder joint when they put the boards through the solder wave. I used to work in electronics. Anyway, thank you very much, you just saved me $300.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is / 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    going to try this tonight! thanks for the link!

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30
    Here's another good write-up that is very popular around here:

http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

Randy Walters
    '89 325is (Competition car, now sold)
    '96 328is (Weekend Fun car w/M3 suspension, just sold)
    '03 530i Sport (Spare car)
    '05 X3 3.0 (Little Woman's DD)
    '21 Mazda 3 Premium Sedan AWD (Daily Driver)
    BMW CCA & SCCA Driving Instructor
    BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
    Multiple SCCA Regional Championships

My Cars
    2004-325i, 2005-530i,

Hmm

I wonder if this is my problem.

Mine doesn't work at all. I know that it is getting power because when I turn on the headlights, the buttons light up. There is nothing on the display and no green indicators. Is there a fuse that I need to check?

My Cars
    97 328ic
    I used the instructions from the link above http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html and it has fixed my climate control computer. I wasn't able to get the same capacitor but got a 4.7uF Electrolytic from Radio Shack and the climate control computer came right back up. I have just done the repair so I don't know how long it will last but Richard from the link above says his has lasted 4 years. Great inexpensive fix!

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by wilmington328 View Post
    I used the instructions from the link above http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html and it has fixed my climate control computer. I wasn't able to get the same capacitor but got a 4.7uF Electrolytic from Radio Shack and the climate control computer came right back up. I have just done the repair so I don't know how long it will last but Richard from the link above says his has lasted 4 years. Great inexpensive fix!

Do we use a radial or axial lead capacitor? The pic on the DIY is way fuzzy.
    Just curious before I start my repair; is yours still working with the capacitor you used?
    Last edited by paul e; 05-25-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/