Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glove Box Won't Open

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport

Glove Box Won't Open

Hey folks, I've used the search and nothing came up for glove box. Mine is stuck not locked. The lever lifts up as if it were going to open but doesn't '95 740i. My touch up paint is imprisoned! Has this happened to anyone beside myself? What did you do to remedy this?
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    yeah this is actually fairly common. Mine was broken when I bought it, then fixed, and then my brother broke it again a few months later. I haven't bothered fixing it.

The repair is detailed here: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/426006

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Thanks!
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    1998'-740i, 1980'-928, 04-Trailblazer
    If you are stuck closed reach straight back under the lefthand side and reach up until you feel the cable, pull down and it should open. The cable slips out of position.

Peter

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Double the thanks!
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport; 2003 Toyota 4-Runner
    I also have a broken glove box latch. It was broken when I bought the car last month and it appears somebody had already tried to fix it. Well, not only did they fail but several pieces are missing, such as springs, etc. Therefore I must buy a new latch.

I searched eBay but found no obvious hits. One listing was for a "handle" for $75... not sure if this includes the latch mechanism or not. What are some good sites for used BMW E38 parts? I don't need a new OEM part... a used part will do just fine.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Look around the forum....some folks are parting cars out.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    1998 750iL
    My 750, was broken into the night i bought it and they (the Vandals) tried pulling the latch open when it was locked and pulled it out and broke it. the body shop who fixed the window also fixed it since insurance was covering it. it was not an expensive fix, not that it should be for a piece of plastic, the glass on the other hand was very spendy. lucky insurance took care of it.
    Last edited by seven50il; 10-21-2008 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    '97 740i
    Mine must not be completely broken, as is still functions on a limited basis. I have to sort of push in towards the top of the handle (the hinged side) as I pull out in order to get it to open. I kind of like it because it's like a trick glove-box and most people can't open it

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by seven50il View Post
    My 750, was broken into the night i bought it and they (the Vandals) tried pulling the latch open when it was locked and pulled it out and broke it. the body shop who fixed the window also fixed it since insurance was covering it. it was not an expensive fix, not that it should be for a piece of plastic, the glass on the other hand was very spendy. lucky insurance took care of it.
    One night vandals broke into my car, stole nothing, and they fixed my glove box latch!

not really.

My Cars
    2001 e38
    My glove box latch broke a while ago. I fixed it and now it broke again. All of the glued sections were still intact...it actually broke in new areas. I put it back together using epoxy, tested it a few times and now it broke AGAIN in new areas. Technically the latch is made of of 2 main parts (the handle, and the rest of the latching mechanics. In the mechanism there's a metal bar, 2 springs, a plastic lever and a small cylinder. So in total the glove box latch is originally under 10 parts. Now, after breaking 3 times, mine is closer to 25 pieces. Seriously, if you see it you'd think I blew it up for fun. When my mom saw the part (upside down) she asked "what the hell does that thing do? How much is it going to cost to replace?"" To which I responded..."It's the most complicated component in the 7-series....the glove box latch! and it's $120+ to replace!" You can guess what she told me to do with the car.

On a side note, I'm thinking of just putting the broken latch back in and adding something to just pull on the bowden cable from underneath the dash. My wife won't like it but I don't think I can put the latch back together and get any use out of it now. Seriously, I bet the the BMW engineers spent more time designing the latch than any other component on the car.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Okay, here is a rhetorical question: What are you guys using the 'glove'box for that it needs to be opened (and closed) so many times that the latch breaks/freezes up/will not open?

I can't remember the last time I had to go into my 'glove'box....I don't wear gloves while driving (anymore) nor do I need a 'box' anywhere on or near the front seats. I keep my license, proof of insurance and registration in my wallet along with my greatly devalued currency, and my gun alongside the seat close to my right hand. At age 67, I don't need to hide or use condoms anymore. Beers do not fit in there, and if it's a place for your 'stash', the cops will look there first anyway.

Why not just leave the damn thing closed...better yet, superglue it shut.

Just some random thoughts as I sit here on a day off.

jake

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport; 2003 Toyota 4-Runner
    Crotchety old fart. Do you park your 7 next to the '64 Impala you bought new? ;-)

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    No, and I don't crochet either

I do park it next to my motorcycle though.

jake
    Last edited by crewdog843; 10-21-2008 at 10:54 PM.

My Cars
    '97 740i
    Actually here in CA a cop can't go into the glove box w/o you opening it prior (to get reg/ins for instance) or if he has a legitimate reason to suspect there is something in there (I realize this is purely interpretation but still...). Oh and I actually keep my wallet in there while I drive, got tired of numb butt-cheeks

My Cars
    2000 740iL & 98 XK8 Jag
    I took the spring and metal part out of the latch. It won't lock but it will open without the metal parts jamming etc.

The whole thing is super cheap plastic and I think a lock in a plastic anything is silly, to say the least.

I have never locked a glove box in my life. If they want what's in there, it's plastic, they will not only get what they want but destroy the dash as well.

They may get mad and cut up the seats or break other stuff as well, not worth it to me.

I was thinking about using a small electric selenoid like used in the trunk to open it. How hard could it be? just push a hidden button and POP! it's open.

Something for you custom minded guys to think about.

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Woah old thread.

Sorry to be OT, but where has Jake been? It seems like it's been a year or so since I've seen him post.

Hope that old fart is doing alright.

My Cars
    2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by lapin229 View Post
    If you are stuck closed reach straight back under the lefthand side and reach up until you feel the cable, pull down and it should open. The cable slips out of position.

Peter

Just so everyone knows: pulling the cable works real well. the cable was not too hard to find.'

My latch was "dangling loose". Once the cable was pulled the box opened and the latch repositioned itself. All is well. Dont know what caused the problem but I was delighted that the glove box opened and I dont have to spend $100+ on a new latch.
    Last edited by wec5910; 04-25-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    Thanks,
    WEC

2015 M5 Competition
    2000 Nissan Frontier
    1966 AC Cobra

My Cars
    1997 740i
    I have a 97' 740I that the glove box latch stopped working. Broken I am sure, pretty loose and a small coil spring fell out. I can't locate the cable. Do I need to remove anything to get to it?
    Thanks
    Steve

My Cars
    2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by COWMAN View Post
    I have a 97' 740I that the glove box latch stopped working. Broken I am sure, pretty loose and a small coil spring fell out. I can't locate the cable. Do I need to remove anything to get to it?
    Thanks
    Steve
    No, you do not have to remove anything to reach the latch cable. Should be 3-4 inches from the bottom left corner of the glove box door. After you find it for the first time, you will wonder what took you so long.

So keep searching, its a round 1/4 inch cable.

good luck
    Thanks,
    WEC

2015 M5 Competition
    2000 Nissan Frontier
    1966 AC Cobra

My Cars
    1997 740i
    I went so far as to remove the rear cover plastic(looks like a temp sensor mounted it it). Still no cable anywhere to be found.
    Maybe fell into to a black hole! I have had only one BMW car before this one, an 1984 528E. Many BMW motorcycles, so I do know what a cable looks like.

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Today I removed the slender trim just below the left of the glove box that follows the console. Still no cable to be found.

My Cars
    06 530xi E61, 1993 850Ci
    Maybe these will help. In the first pic, this is what mine looks like if you lay on your back and look up at the bottom of the glovebox:

The cable in question is sheathed in gray foam rubber and can be seen next to the bracket.

This is what it looks like with the box open:

Just grab this (no disassembly required) and give a gentle pull until you feel it pop. You may have to fish around a bit to feel for it if it's not visible, but it should be within finger's reach.

Sorry about the dim pictures but it was dark out when I took them and that's the best the glove box flashlight can do.

-Mo
    Last edited by Moughrawn; 05-09-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    I don't know nuthin' and I can prove it!

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Now that makes sense. Covered in foam is what got me. Thanks for the pics and post! Next question, I tried pulling the cable from both ways(towards and away from, down) the latch. Still can't get it to open....
    Last edited by COWMAN; 05-09-2011 at 06:52 AM.

My Cars
    06 530xi E61, 1993 850Ci
    That's a good point: which direction to pull? On mine, a downward pull towards the floor starting out gently and slowly increasing force until the desired result occurs works. Depending on how broken your latch is, it may take a firm pull.

Also, try pushing up on the door while pulling the cable to relieve any pressure on the latch in case something is jammed in there.

Good luck. We're all counting on you. And don't call me Shirley.
    I don't know nuthin' and I can prove it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast