Thread: Power Steering Fluid

My Cars
    528i

Power Steering Fluid

Can someone please tell me what sort of power steering fluid I'm supposed to use in a 1998 528i?

Your supposed to use automatic transmission fluid...but the owners manual doesn't say what kind (ATF+3, Dextron III, etc.).

I can't believe that the owner's manual doesn't say what kind of ATF to use...and even more unbelievable...the manual says if it's low you are supposed to take it to the dealer...because it takes some sort of special skill to add fluid to the reservoir!!!

Thanks

My Cars
    2006 4Runner
    Pretty much any Dexron IV is a safe bet. Avoid any products with special additives like "stop leak", etc. Use synthetic. I use Redline ATF but I know other people on here use Royal Purple or Mobil 1
    Possibly, maybe, conceivably, thinking about getting back into another E39. Hide your daughters

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    I used the generic one-size-fits all stuff from Advance Auto in my 318. It works great - much better than the black (power steering fluid!?) that I flushed out. It's a wonder the power steering pump and rack still work.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    528i
    Thanks for the replies.

I have both ATF+3 and Dextron III in the garage...just didn't know which one to use for the power steering in a 98 528i.

I can't believe there isn't some sort of label under the hood indicating what type of fluid to use...AND that the owner's manual doesn't even list it either!!!

I hate asking such a lame question...thanks for the help!

- Nick

My Cars
    2006 4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigoo View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I have both ATF+3 and Dextron III in the garage...just didn't know which one to use for the power steering in a 98 528i.

I can't believe there isn't some sort of label under the hood indicating what type of fluid to use...AND that the owner's manual doesn't even list it either!!!

I hate asking such a lame question...thanks for the help!

- Nick
    Because they want you to get it serviced at the stealership
    Possibly, maybe, conceivably, thinking about getting back into another E39. Hide your daughters

My Cars
    '94 530i, 94 Astro
    OK, I'm new to BMW. When I see under the hood to use "CHF 11" fluid ONLY, am I correct to assume that I can use others as well?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by romeroom View Post
    OK, I'm new to BMW. When I see under the hood to use "CHF 11" fluid ONLY, am I correct to assume that I can use others as well?

Power steering fluid for the E39 can be ANY dexron III ATF.

There is nothing special to it.
    Reference:
    http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa...msoiloaf:index

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by romeroom View Post
    No...you are NOT correct in assuming that you can use just any other fluid when you are being told to use CHF 11 S ONLY.

I'm assuming that this is for your e34 530i...your power steering reservoir is filled with Pentosin CHF 11 S hydarulic fluid... DO NOT put ATF in your power steering system!!!!

Click this link below and see section 4.0 for BMWs that use CHF 11 S...all other BMWs that use ATF..refer to sections 3.0 & 5.0: http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...0Type-List.pdf
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 E39 523i 5spd
    I just did my power steering fluid, and I bought it from the dealer. I think it says 'ATF D' on the package, but I can check that tomorrow if you'd like.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Just an FYI...the person that is NOW asking the question is RomeRoom (see post #6).

This is a revived thread...the original poster is not the one asking the question. And if you look at RomeRoom's car info...it states that he has a 1994 (e34) 530...which means that there's a 99% chance that his car DOES use Pentosin hydraulic fluid...and THAT is what he needs to continue to use to replace or refill his power steering reservoir.

I hope RoomRoom figures out that he revived an old thread in the WRONG forum...if not...some of us have wasted a lot of time finding the answer to his question which he may never see.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-06-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '94 530i, 94 Astro
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Just an FYI...the person that is NOW asking the question is RomeRoom (see post #6)....And if you look at RomeRoom's car info...it states that he has a 1994 (e34) 530...which means that there's a 99% chance that his car DOES use Pentosin hydraulic fluid...and THAT is what he needs to continue to use to replace or refill his power steering reservoir. ...WRONG forum...if not...wasted a lot of time finding the answer to his question which he may never see.
    First, my apologies for trespassing in the wrong forum with my question. Not only do I not "know German" but it looks like I can't read English either. I'm very new to BMW and this forum, yet thought I was doing the right thing by searching for information before posting a new thread.

You are correct all the way around--about my question and the car in need of fluid. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was trying to avoid the high price of "dealer vendored" fluid since nobody else (like NAPA) seems to have what I need where I live.

If I read the information at http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...0Type-List.pdf correctly (obviously, probably not) it seems like ATF or CHF 11 can be used, as long as they are not mixed, recommending either be fully drained from the system before deciding on what to put in.

Not knowing what the previous owner put in, is there a way of determining if its CHF 11 or ATF with some accuracy by looking or smelling the current fluid in the reservoir?
    Last edited by romeroom; 05-07-2009 at 09:25 AM.