Thread: CEL popped on this morning, what caused it?

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i

CEL popped on this morning, what caused it?

I started my car this morning and it was idling a bit rougher than normal. I hadn't driven it in a few days and it usually takes a few seconds to level off so I didn't think much of it. I waited maybe 30 seconds or more before putting it into gear. As I backed out of the garage it sounded as if it was misfiring then the CEL popped on. I stopped and shut the car then waited a few seconds before starting it again. I guess I was hoping it would disappear after I restarted but it didn't. Does anyone have an idea on what may have caused this? I don't have a code reader or else I would have read it already. Isn't there a way to reset it?

UPDATE: Well just got back, they read it from the port on the passenger side of the console. It turns out that cylinder 6 misfired. That sounds about right judging by how it was running this morning. It seems to be running fine now though, should I be worried? What can I do to turn the light off? They couldn't reset it and said that it will turn off on its own or I should change out the spark plug...
    Last edited by Ryan328i; 06-25-2008 at 06:18 PM.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    You could stop at your local autozone and have it read + reset?

If I have my car sit for a week orso, it is sometimes a little rougher when starting as well; no CEL's though...

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    You really don't want to reset it without reading it. Read the code, find out what it means, then clear it. Its very useful information in troubleshooting a problem.

There are a millon things that could cause it to come on. Luckily the whole point of the CEL is to tell you what went wrong, so read the code and you'll know what caused it.

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0
    autozone to the rescue. Read and clear it, just like everyone said. No reason to do anything else before hand.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    FYI my Autozone does not lend the readers and they will not clear the codes. They claim it is against the law. I just bought their pocket code reader, normally $80, on sale for $40.

My Cars
    2000 540iT SW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmark View Post
    FYI my Autozone does not lend the readers and they will not clear the codes. They claim it is against the law. I just bought their pocket code reader, normally $80, on sale for $40.
    Harbor Freight has some real cheapos too, good enough for my purposes.

My Cars
    00 M-Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmark View Post
    You got scammed. Every single Autozone I go to will read AND reset the ecu on my cherokee (havent had a CEL on the coupe yet......knock on wood......). Sometimes I just go there to have them reset the ecu on my cherokee because I know what the code is and I just want the light gone (stupid random trans glitch trips the CEL every month or so). They always ask me if I want it read before they reset it, I just say nope!

My Cars
    F10 535, E38, Z3
    The Autozone near me will not clear the CEL either, claiming it is "illegal"

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiseo2008 View Post
    The Autozone near me will not clear the CEL either, claiming it is "illegal"
    What a bunch of crap!

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i
    I'm going to stop on my way home today and have it read at Autozone. Where do they read from, under the hood?

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan328i View Post
    I'm going to stop on my way home today and have it read at Autozone. Where do they read from, under the hood?
    Mine is under the hood, although I think there's another port under the dash near the passenger seat.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i
    Well just got back, they read it from the port on the passenger side of the console. It turns out that cylinder 6 misfired. That sounds about right judging by how it was running this morning. It seems to be running fine now though, should I be worried? What can I do to turn the light off? They couldn't reset it and said that it will turn off on its own or I should change out the spark plug...

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan328i View Post
    Well just got back, they read it from the port on the passenger side of the console. It turns out that cylinder 6 misfired. That sounds about right judging by how it was running this morning. It seems to be running fine now though, should I be worried? What can I do to turn the light off? They couldn't reset it and said that it will turn off on its own or I should change out the spark plug...
    Prolly wouldn't hurt to remove the coil and have a look. I've once seen a guy with a bunch of oil in it; no bueno.

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Mine did the same thing, just needed a coil. Though it could be the plug.

My Cars
    Z poop 3.0
    All the autozones in Cali let me take the reader to my car by myself and do whatever with it.
    As of recently, at my local zone they take a refundable $160 deposit.