Thread: Anyone with a bentley - Need a wiring diagram for my new e38 please!

My Cars
    1995 740i, 2003 Jaguar X-type

Anyone with a bentley - Need a wiring diagram for my new e38 please!

Hey Guys,

After many years of being out of the bmw scene and straying into other marques, after totaling my e36 325i m3 swapped car, I'm back. I just picked up a e38 1995 740i. Car is in impeccable shape for the year / miles (135k).

So I've had the car for 48 hours and I've got the bug to upgrade the audio system already. I'm an EE and worked with aftermarket stuff since I was 15.

So does anyone with an e38 bentley (I need to look around to find a cheap version on cd, I can't stand the paper manuals) think they can do me a favor and scan, or e-mail me the wiring diagrams for a 1995 740i audio system with DSP?

Thanks in advance,

George

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 97 740iL
    Woot I get to finally use it! Not to undermind Gats because hes practically got it all there, (good job) but I just want to use this!

Callin Q!

My Cars
    (E38) '01 740iL
    Have a look at E38.org (CLICK HERE) and, about 1/4 way down on the left, you'll find some PDF form diagrams for the Electrical System.

OR... I bought my Bentley from Autohaus Arizona (CLICK HERE-Brings You Right To The Manual For Sale) for $86.99 (excellent price compaired to the $114 it's selling for at most other places) and would HIGHLY recommend the purchase! If not just for the wiring diagram you now need... it is extremely detailed and will help you out with just about everything for your E38.

That's a pretty good scan project that I will do, if need be, if you can't find what you're looking for on E38 or don't order a Bentley. Let me know.

Good Luck and Welcome Back to the 'Family'!

-Gatsby

*ASE Master Auto Technician <> Member, BMW CCA

My Cars
    (E38) '01 740iL
    I edited my post.... and it ended up under yours. haha.

If the OP looks on E38 he'll find what he needs... or, of course, Q will probably have the diagram at the ready!

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Am3n View Post
    Woot I get to finally use it! Not to undermind Gats because hes practically got it all there, (good job) but I just want to use this!

Callin Q!

My Cars
    I checked out e38.org

Some good info there... As far as Q i would appreciate it if you could send me the audio diagrams, specifically for the 1995 740i with dsp audio system. I'm really interested in two things.

1) The CD changer input wiring harness at the back of the radio..
    2) The inputs to the DSP amp, and how they are wired from the HU to the amp.

As far as the bentley.. It's on the list...
    I really want to find a CD version, I had (and still have somewhere) that for the E36 and my B5 audi S4. - It's much more convenient than the print book inmho... You can print just the pages you need for any particular job, and don't care if you get them dirty, spill whatever on them etc, plus you don't have to deal with the book and it's binding... Just a much better idea for me.

Thanks in advance,

George

My Cars
    (E38) '01 740iL
    Hey George...

If Q doesn't reply (since he has a plethera of diagrams in .jpeg form) I'll scan mine from the Bentley in the AM and post 'em up here!

So no worries... you'll have them, either way, tomorrow.

-Gatsby

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Here are charts I made for the connectors on the amp:

My Cars

Thanks!

I don't know if that's the right stuff for my car. My car at least SEEMS like it only has a 2 Way setup in the front door. It's a 1995.

I wonder if there is a speaker in the kick panel I'm missing? My e36 had that from the factory.. I'll check it out after work.

Thanks,

George

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyguido View Post
    I don't know if that's the right stuff for my car. My car at least SEEMS like it only has a 2 Way setup in the front door. It's a 1995.

I wonder if there is a speaker in the kick panel I'm missing? My e36 had that from the factory.. I'll check it out after work.

Thanks,

George
    Do you have a DSP system?

If not, a lot of things will be different.

My Cars
    01 750il and 12 750li x
    I am in Essex, NJ and I am about to go on vacation for two weeks so if you do not mind the drive down to Irvington from Princeton, you can borrow mine until I get back and make all the photocopys you need lol. SInce you only have 6 post you will have to bring id so that I can track you down if you don't return it. I also have the TIS and ETK CD's also

My Cars

Thanks

Yes, I have the DSP System, but my car is a 95. 2 front speakers, 2 rear, and the 4 "subs" in the rear deck. I think the system changed in 1996 or 1997 and added the 3 way front components.

My car isn't an I-bus car (at least as far as the cd changer is concerned) It's a pioneer p-bus changer.

As far as the offer to borrow the bentley, that would be great... hit me on im and or e-mail and we'll discuss it.

Thanks,

George

My Cars
    Anyone??

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Here's link to the BMW WDS system...use it wisely:

Also, have you look up the diagrams at any of the 3 major online part databases...like Realoem etc? (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...30&hg=65&fg=20)

You can see where all the speakers are located when you go to the AUDIO diagrams...for instance, you have a tweeter (#1), a midrange (#3), and a larger speaker (#6) in the front door:

And there is a medium treble speaker (#1) and another loudspeaker (#4) in the rear doors:

As well as the speakers in the rear parcel shelf's sub-woofer box:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 320SE Diesel
    Hey Q, just found your link to the WDS info. I have bought the DVD from ebay but cannot get my pc to read it so am stumped regards wiring. I looked at the site you posted and got the system up but can only access the left index column....the wiring diagrams do not display.
    Is there a need for a subscription to be able to access the complete info or do you think it is my pc that is blocking the content?
    I really need this WDS and would be grateful for any advice.
    Regards.

My Cars
    You need to install an adobe scl or something plugin. It's on the first page of that link that Q sent. - When you go to that site, click on technical requirements or something... Even the website did that before I installed the plugin. If you e-mail me I can send you the plugin file, It's free from adobe.

George

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwich fan View Post
    Hey Q, just found your link to the WDS info. I have bought the DVD from ebay but cannot get my pc to read it so am stumped regards wiring. I looked at the site you posted and got the system up but can only access the left index column....the wiring diagrams do not display.
    Is there a need for a subscription to be able to access the complete info or do you think it is my pc that is blocking the content?
    I really need this WDS and would be grateful for any advice.
    Regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyguido View Post
    You need to install an adobe scl or something plugin. It's on the first page of that link that Q sent. - When you go to that site, click on technical requirements or something... Even the website did that before I installed the plugin. If you e-mail me I can send you the plugin file, It's free from adobe.

George
    Thanks George for the back-up help. Hope you can figure out all that you need to hook up your audio system.

Norwich...just follow his advice, and look for the plug-ins and other requirements needed.

Good luck fellas.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    No problem.. .Yeah that stumped me for a hot minute as well.

Thanks for that link... That should solve my problems.

Take care,

George

My Cars
    2001 320SE Diesel
    Thanks Q and George.
    Found and installed the plug ins and the WDS works perfectly
    Took the centre assembly out (great DIY from e38.org) and tested wiring to front and back cigar lighters and there is no power to either.
    Fuse #52 (30A) looks ok but will test/replace it tomorrow to see whether that is the culprit. Failing that, I will have to try and find the relay and test that. If that is ok then I am well and truly stumped
    Will post my results for the benefit of others, but thanks again for the help so far.
    Alastair.