Thread: Rough idle

My Cars
    2011 X5

Rough idle

First let me start by saying that my dealer is great, but my history with them has been that it takes about 3 times to get a correct diagnosis and/or fix to issues.

I have a rough idle and it started about 2 months ago. I took it in 2 weeks ago and they replaced a valve that the service writer said was akin to a PCV valve and that I should try and see if the problem's solved. It's not.

I took it back in and the Shop Foreman went over the car and said he took a lot of measurements and the problem doesn't show on any diagnostic equipment. You can definately feel it in the seat of your pants. He said that my car outperformed the specs for the tests, but he did a injector flush anyway. Still no joy.

When I took it in, another SA rode with me and described the low power/ low idle performance as a "stumble" and then I said "YES, THAT'S IT!!!" He also said that the idle should be smoother.

My car just crept over the 4yr period so I'm out of warranty. 2 Questions:
    1- Anyone have any idea what the culprit is?
    2- What should I do about getting it looked at/ repaired?
    04' 530i SMG Black/Grey w. Nav L7 (RIP)
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

Senator Long: “The only difference I ever found between the Democratic leadership and the Republican leadership is that one of them is skinning you from the ankle up and the other, from the neck down.”

My Cars
    2011 X5

More Info

I should add that it feels like the engine is out of harmonic. The tach doesn't float at all. The PCV valve like thingy is called an oil bypass valve.

Waking this morning, I'm thinking either:
    1- A lubrication problem
    2- Motor or Transmission mount broken or not torqued properly.
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

Senator Long: “The only difference I ever found between the Democratic leadership and the Republican leadership is that one of them is skinning you from the ankle up and the other, from the neck down.”

My Cars
    2006 530i
    Any update on this issue. I have a similar issue on a 2006 530. Thanks.

My Cars
    2011 X5
    No update. The dealer says the car is within specs on all diagnostic equipment.

I think it's also related to a persistent hesitation problem. Also unfound,
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

My Cars
    2003 330i
    did you at any time run the fuel very low? i did this once and it ran a little rough for awhild thereafter but i was lucky and it corrected itself

My Cars
    2006 530i
    Have had the car for 4 months, I have not run the fuel low but perhaps the prior owner did.

Also, in other threads have seen references to an ICV (Idle control valve) but always in respect to the E39. Does the E60 have an ICV? Could this be the problem?

My Cars
    2011 X5
    Yes, I've run the fuel low. Are you saying the fuel pump is the problem? This problem happens regardless of fuel level. I've thought that it's worse in high ambient temperature...yet to confirm.
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

My Cars
    2004 525i
    I just bought a 04 525i with 43,702 miles on it, I also purchased a 24 month 30K warranty from Perferred Warranties Inc., I've had the car 4 days, I have driven it 495 miles ( I purchased it out of state), got a fresh oil change yesterday, SA said it was misfiring and idling rough, but the Check Eng. Light was not on. The CEL came on this morning with a message to "drive moderately".... I got on line and found this SIB on rough Idle....I think I'm covered... It's either the issue stated in the SIB or the vacuum valve. Its failure causes rough idling and sets the Service Engine Soon light.

SI B 11 02 05
    Engine January 2006
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B11 02 05 dated May 2005.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    N62 Engine - Rough Idle, Misfire Faults after Cold Start

MODEL
    E53 (X5 4.4 i/4.8is); E60, E63/64, E65/66 with N62 from 06/04 up to 02/05 production

SITUATION
    Customer may complain of erratic engine idle speed lasting for approximately 20 seconds after a cold start. Check Engine Soon light may be illuminated and misfire faults for various cylinders (e.g. FC 2742, 2743, 2744, 2745, 2746, 2748, 2749, 274E) may be stored in the DME.

CAUSE
    Incorrect tolerances and geometry of Valvetronic intermediate levers are causing uneven cylinder filling during the transitional cold start period (60 seconds after the engine has been started) when the Valvetronic system is switching from the initial 6 mm to a minimum 0.3/0.8 mm valve lift.

CORRECTION
    On a customer complaint basis, and after performing diagnostic procedure described below, replace the Valvetronic intermediate levers.

PROCEDURE

Perform basic engine diagnosis (compression, ignition, fuel pressure, etc) to rule out other potential causes.

Allow the engine to cool down.

Connect GT1/DIS loaded with CD 44.0, or higher, to a cold vehicle (coolant temperature below 30 deg C) and from the Function Selection select: "Service Functions", "Drive", "Engine management ME9", "Test runs" and then "Tolerance test, intermediate lever".

Start the engine and follow-up the test plan.

Observe rough running values when idle speed stabilizes. If values are in excess of +/- 2.5 accompanied with noticeable engine vibration (and sometimes Check Engine Soon flashing), then remove valve covers on both banks.

Look for the intermediate lever production date (stamped on the lever, next to the smaller roller contacting the eccentric shaft).

If the production date is in the range between "04 180" and "04 324" (e.g. day 324 of the year 2004), then the whole set of intermediate levers (16) has to be replaced. The same classification of levers must be used when ordering the intermediate levers (classification number is stamped below production date). There are 5 classifications of levers used in the N62 engine.

Note: In an individual cylinder head, all levers must have the same classification, but two different classification of intermediate levers may be used in one engine (e.g. bank 1: classification 2, bank 2: classification 3).

Important: The lower production range of the affected intermediate levers is only an approximation. It is possible that levers produced prior to "04 180" (but not earlier then "03 363") may have certain deviations in tolerances.

For Valvetronic intermediate lever replacement procedure, refer to RA 11 37 012 (bank 1) and RA 11 37 014 (bank 2), found in BMW TIS.

IMPORTANT:

Improved intermediate levers are currently available from our Parts Department.

In the event of a reproducible customer complaint proceed with the diagnostic and repair procedure. There is no need to contact Technical Hotline.

PARTS INFORMATION
    Part Number
    Description
    Quantity

11 37 7 516 895
    Intermediate levers class 1
    Maximum 16

11 37 7 514 012
    Intermediate levers class 2
    Maximum 16

11 37 7 514 013
    Intermediate levers class 3
    Maximum 16

11 37 7 514 014
    Intermediate levers class 4
    Maximum 16

11 37 7 514 015
    Intermediate levers class 5
    Maximum 16

11 12 7 513 194
    Valve cover gasket bank 1

11 12 7 513 195
    Valve cover gasket bank 2

11 31 7 507 432
    Tensioner sealing ring

07 11 9 903 596
    Valvetronic motor spacer ring

11 14 7 506 424
    Timing chain cover, u-shape metal gasket, bank 1

11 14 7 506 425
    Timing chain cover, u-shape metal gasket, bank 2

11 36 7 513 222
    Vanos solenoid O-ring

11 36 7 546 379
    Vanos solenoid O-ring

11 36 7 501 423
    Vanos unit bolts

12 14 1 748 398
    Cam sensor o-rings

11 12 7 518 420
    Eccentric shaft sensor o-ring

NOTE:

It is not necessary to replace spark plugs tubes during a course of this repair.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
    11 37 91 42 00

Labor Operation:
    Labor Allowance:

Main work:
    00 55 453
    93 FRU – E53 X5 4.4i/4.8is

91 FRU – E65/66

102 FRU – E60, E63/64

+Associated work:
    00 55 793
    91 FRU – E53 X5 4.4i/4.8is

90 FRU – E65/66

100 FRU – E60, E63/64

Note: The following explanations will spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
    Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.

OR

+Associated Work:
    Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
    Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment.

My Cars
    98 E39 528i sport

Hello all,

I recently purchased an 06 525i with 60K miles that had a clicking noise at idle in drive. I took it to my independent as it is out of warranty and found that the motor mount was the culprit. It had actually broken the studs IN the block! Hope this helps you.

My Cars
    MkIII supra, 4runner rock crawler and 1963 Nova SS
    That SIB only refers to the V8 engines. In the E60 case, 545i are in that range.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    if you have the m54 eng i would remove the idle control valve and check it for sticking. if it is ok, than i would disconnect the battery overnite with the cables touching each other. this is called a battery discharge. this is actuatly a BMW repair. this causes all the modulles to relearn itself. it has fixed many of cars for me.

what type fuel are you using. try a diff brand and octane and see what happens. some cars like 89 better than 91/93. i run 89 in my 325 due to better mpg and perf. i get 2-3 mog more on 89 than 93

My Cars
    VWs, 1991 jetta aba16vT, 1996 windsor jetta<-daily
    I have the same problem ... and some days its worse than others but mostly its not even there ... my is n54 ... deffinitely thinking its something with that "state of the art" fuel system they suited me with :/

changed bunch of shit ... coils, plugs, walnut blasting, exhaust vanos ... nothing helps ....

is ur car x-drive?? because i have noticed that you can get same type of stuttering feel when something is out of sink as far as the x-drive goes ...
    Those who know, dont talk - and those who talk dont know a thing......NAS

What goes around, comes around.....so watch what you do........NAStardamus

You just cant compare american muscle and german muscle.