RM European Auto Parts

Thread: how do you remove and replace a starter on 325ci 2003

My Cars
    328i

how do you remove and replace a starter on 325ci 2003

how do you replace this? any diy articles ?
    what would a mechanic charge to replace it?
    any help would be appreciated im on a tight budget tried rpelacing tonight but couldnt even find a starter under the car....lmao

My Cars
    328i
    I FOUND THIS OFF WIKI CAN ANYONE BACK THIS UP? THE REST OF THE INFO SYAS REMOVE MANIFOLDS AND TRANSMISSION WHICH I CANNOT DO...THANK IN ADVANCE

NOTE. these starters are difficult to do, first thing is disconnect the neg. battery cable, next, open the hood and near the engine firewall you want to remove the complete micro air filter assembly, and the filter holder itself from the firewall, 4 t30 bolts bolt it to the fire wall, next, remove the plastic cover on firewall that covers up the ac blower assembly, 2 t30 torx bolts , twist and pull the cover off, now you should be able to look down the back of the engine and see the starter. the starter is located under the intake manifold, there are two e12 inverted torx bolts that bolt the starter to the bell housing. both bolts go in same direction. get a e12 long wrench and you should be able to sneak the wrench down behind the engine and remove the top starter bolt, this is a very tight fit and make sure you take your time. next raise the vehicle up and go underneith the vehicle, which ever works best for you and trans type (auto, man) you might need a long extension but remove the lower e12 torx under the car. remove the 2 small wires on starter, and two large cables on starter. (make note on how cables are ran before you remove them), (4 wires in total), starter may be seized into bell housing by a dowel pin. just get a very long 3/8 ixtension and place it against the solenoid or any other hard part on the starter and hit the extension with a hammer until the starter breaks free from bell housing (transmission). remove the starter from under the car. replace starter, and secure cables first, then start both bolts, once both bolts are started, snug them both up equally and tighten up, reassembly vehicle, and start car. good luck. adam.

My Cars
    CBR 1000F
    That's the way you do it, except that it's not a good idea to hammer on the starter if you want your core charge back. Instead, place a 5 mm allen bit on the end of the long extension and use that to drive the dowel pin forward, out of the transmission housing.

Partially unscrewing the subframe bolts to lower the engine, and removing the transmission support, will allow more room to work. Before you do that, remove the engine-mounted fan (if equipped) or loosen the fan shroud, and detach the intake air boot between the air flow meter and the throttle.
    Beißen Mein Wiener!

My Cars
    328i
    thanks man im gonna give it a go! i cant lower the trans though...im doing this in a garage with a jack...lmao

My Cars
    328i
    gonna tackle this in the morning...any other tips?

My Cars
    CBR 1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by jayh View Post
    thanks man im gonna give it a go! i cant lower the trans though...im doing this in a garage with a jack...lmao
    Use the jack to lower the transmission. You're going to have a hard time reaching the upper bolt if you don't.
    Beißen Mein Wiener!