PDA

View Full Version : air filter getting wet??

jefiddler
02-17-2005, 03:48 PM
hey guys I just put in my Carbonio intake, its sounds freaking great and with my current mods it really feels like I picked up some rwhp. Anyway my main concern right now is the air filter getting wet. If i wash the car its certainly gonna get wet, will that hurt it or do they dry out pretty quickly?

LWRNCE
02-17-2005, 03:49 PM
J you can get the hydro lock sock...

bostongreen18
02-17-2005, 05:42 PM
if it gets wet it won't filter as well and let impurities into the flux capacitor which could destabilize the entire T.I.M.E. manifold.... thats a big no no

MJFX328
02-17-2005, 06:03 PM
if it gets wet it won't filter as well and let impurities into the flux capacitor which could destabilize the entire T.I.M.E. manifold.... thats a big no no

was that a back to the future joke?

Mine gets wet too.. I realized it the other day.. Im wondering if its gonna be a problem..

jefiddler
02-17-2005, 06:13 PM

hello Mcfly??

beatniks325
02-17-2005, 06:25 PM
if it gets wet you'll have to clean and reoil it more. i guess longterm the filter might not last as long.

it what shape is your underpanel and driver's side wheelwell liner? if those are good, the filter really shouldn't get too wet.

MJFX328
02-18-2005, 02:58 PM
if it gets wet you'll have to clean and reoil it more. i guess longterm the filter might not last as long.

it what shape is your underpanel and driver's side wheelwell liner? if those are good, the filter really shouldn't get too wet.

theyre good but when I wash the car and get inside the wheel well the filter gets wet. I mean I guess it should be ok since then engine gets wet all the time. The heat should dry it right up.

islasian67
02-18-2005, 03:00 PM
There shouldnt be any problems with getting it wet, is hydrolock what your worried about?

WildStorm
02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Doesnt it take a pretty significant amount of water being ingested into the intake for hydrolock to occur? Hell, use a blow dryer on it for a few minutes lol. Doesnt AEM make a universal bypass valve?

hellrot325
02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Doesnt it take a pretty significant amount of water being ingested into the intake for hydrolock to occur? Hell, use a blow dryer on it for a few minutes lol. Doesnt AEM make a universal bypass valve? Yes...small amounts of H20 gets ingested into the combustion chamber all the time in the form of water moisture. I'm not sure why the filter would get wet when washing the car, my Cosmso CAI filter stays dry through a car wash. That being said I have sound wheel well liners and a JTD Underpanel.

widebody_bimmer
02-18-2005, 06:11 PM
ya I figure if you don't go through a big puddle and suck up all kinds of water you should be fine....

WildStorm
02-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Yes...small amounts of H20 gets ingested into the combustion chamber all the time in the form of water moisture. I'm not sure why the filter would get wet when washing the car, my Cosmso CAI filter stays dry through a car wash. That being said I have soung ww liners and a JTD Underpanel.
Actually I meant doesnt a decent amount of water need to make contact with the filter at one time for hydrolock to occur? I still dont know if i make any sense :P . Also wouldnt you have to drive through a pretty decent puddle with the rpms in the upper range inorder for enough pull to be present?

hellrot325
02-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Actually I meant doesnt a decent amount of water need to make contact with the filter at one time for hydrolock to occur? I still dont know if i make any sense :P . Also wouldnt you have to drive through a pretty decent puddle with the rpms in the upper range inorder for enough pull to be present? Yes, you really almost have to get the pipe under water...puddles are not going to do it.

WildStorm
02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Thats what I was thinking.

DTM325
02-20-2005, 10:07 PM
doesn't take a lot of water to lock up an engine...and yes, a puddle can and has locked up engines...

WildStorm
02-21-2005, 12:48 AM
I know it doesnt take a lot of water to lock up an engine, but wouldnt you have to try pretty hard to lock it up under normal driving or when washing your car; As long as you have your underpanel, wheel well liners, etc. ?

makenzie71
02-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Puddles and carwashes have locked up engines, but not BMW engines with the filters/intakes in semi-stock areas.

WildStorm
02-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Thats what I think. Its not like the filter is soo low that if you hit a bump the filter gets ripped off. :embarrasm

HGS
02-21-2005, 12:51 PM

I think in '97 coupes with the sport premium package the flux capacitor was upgraded to a naquida generator. Now if that gets wet to the core and implodes you might take out a whole city. This is what can happen when we make use of alien technology without understanding it fully. Darn german engineers !

texasslim
02-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes...small amounts of H20 gets ingested into the combustion chamber all the time in the form of water moisture. I'm not sure why the filter would get wet when washing the car, my Cosmso CAI filter stays dry through a car wash. That being said I have soung ww liners and a JTD Underpanel.

Hey Hellrot - as you know i'm doing the same cosmo mod. what the heck is a soung ww liner and a JTD Underpanel?

hellrot325
02-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey Hellrot - as you know i'm doing the same cosmo mod. what the heck is a soung ww liner and a JTD Underpanel? soung = sound, ww = wheel wells. Sorry. :embarrasm JTD makes an aluminum underpanel that replaces the crappy plastic stock one, and really seals the area up better. Not really necessary for the Cosmos if you have a good stock one however.

texasslim
02-21-2005, 01:16 PM
soung = sound, ww = wheel wells. Sorry. :embarrasm JTD makes an aluminum underpanel that replaces the crappy plastic stock one, and really seals the area up better. Not really necessary for the Cosmos if you have a good stock one however.

cool. thanks for the clarification. i feel like i am learning some new language, soft, driven, slow and mad. out here in the perimeter, we is stoned, immaculate - sorry, couldn't help the jim morrison segway. lol.

Giocatore
02-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Yes, you really almost have to get the pipe under water...puddles are not going to do it.
My car once had serious trouble after a "under body" wash at the local carwash. After the wash I tried to start the car and the rpm's drop to 450 which meant that the engine jumped and cluttered as hell. - I thought the engine would break loose or something! ( the problems wasn't the spark plugs ) After 30 mins. of waiting my buddy who's a mechanic came and did a quick checked up before he stepped inside the car, started the car and floored it. At the first few attempts the rpm’s struggled a lot and the engine died, but suddently the rpm's went up and the car started moving! The car was still struggeling quite a bit, so we took it for a 10 mins, 160 mph drive on the highway. Problem solved! ;) Ever since that experiance I have wash my car EVERYTIME with a plastic bag covering the airfilter.

BTW. I have a K&N cone air filter

tomas3314
02-23-2005, 12:26 PM
My car once had serious trouble after a "under body" wash at the local carwash. After the wash I tried to start the car and the rpm's drop to 450 which meant that the engine jumped and cluttered as hell. - I thought the engine would break loose or something! ( the problems wasn't the spark plugs ) After 30 mins. of waiting my buddy who's a mechanic came and did a quick checked up before he stepped inside the car, started the car and floored it. At the first few attempts the rpm’s struggled a lot and the engine died, but suddently the rpm's went up and the car started moving! The car was still struggeling quite a bit, so we took it for a 10 mins, 160 mph drive on the highway. Problem solved! ;) Ever since that experiance I have wash my car EVERYTIME with a plastic bag covering the airfilter.

BTW. I have a K&N cone air filter
Don't be so sure it was your intake.....VERY COMMON that the deluge of water overwhelms the front vent drainage and its your ECU that is getting wet. I HIGHLY suggest staying away from automatic carwashes. I have had them flood my ECU and cause about $2000 in damage. Check around if you don't want to take my word on it as it has happened to many people on this forum.
Symptoms include just what you described or your car won't start. Yes eventually if you are lucky the engine heat will evaporate the water but there is always the HIGH risk it won't. There's a few threads on these horror stories and an even common enough problem that there's a DIY for making an extra drainage hole to help with this problem. I would hate for this to happen to any of my fellow members.
Just one example of someone else's story.....
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281547&highlight=carwash

Giocatore
02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Don't be so sure it was your intake.....VERY COMMON that the deluge of water overwhelms the front vent drainage and its your ECU that is getting wet. I HIGHLY suggest staying away from automatic carwashes. I have had them flood my ECU and cause about $2000 in damage. Check around if you don't want to take my word on it as it has happened to many people on this forum.
Symptoms include just what you described or your car won't start. Yes eventually if you are lucky the engine heat will evaporate the water but there is always the HIGH risk it won't. There's a few threads on these horror stories and an even common enough problem that there's a DIY for making an extra drainage hole to help with this problem. I would hate for this to happen to any of my fellow members.
Just one example of someone else's story.....
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281547&highlight=carwash
:eek: Thanks for the "heads up"! :buttrock I haven't rust-protected it yet - but I will in a few months - so a few times a year, I have to wash beneath the car to prevent rust caused by salt, dirt ect. So either I'm going to wash it on the ground, on my back, by hand, with a sponge :confused :( or find the DIY you are talking about. :help Anyways, thanks.

beatniks325
02-23-2005, 09:25 PM
:eek: Thanks for the "heads up"! :buttrock I haven't rust-protected it yet - but I will in a few months - so a few times a year, I have to wash beneath the car to prevent rust caused by salt, dirt ect. So either I'm going to wash it on the ground, on my back, by hand, with a sponge :confused :( or find the DIY you are talking about. :help Anyways, thanks.

http://www.geocities.com/e36rulz/DMEflood.html

Giocatore
02-24-2005, 02:47 AM
http://www.geocities.com/e36rulz/DMEflood.html
Thank you so much