PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded E34 seat twist FIXED!!...Finally

myred318i
09-09-2004, 04:42 PM
AHHHHHH! Not really anything to write about.... I just had to vent. :mad

I had my drivers seat out of my car no less than 10 times over the past 9 mos. and have never been able to figure out how to fix the frickin' seat twist problem. My bottom cushion would only go up and down (at the rear) on the left side. I've dicked around so many times trying different things and always rushing to get it back together cause I had to go somewhere, only to find out that it didn't work.

Today I bought a universal joint socket extension to make the motor removal easier.... and lo & behold I was working on the wrong damn motor!!! :mad What a DUMBASS I am!!! :embarrasm

Anyway - All fixed :D

Gunslinger
09-09-2004, 05:22 PM
great!

this is on my list of things to do (passenger side, in my case). It's kind of low priority, since I'm alone in the car most of the time.

The Beastmaster
09-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Front motor is for the height adjustment. Back motor is for seatback angle. Did you change cables or trim the sheath? I worked on the E34 on Labor Day and found some idiot trimmed the metal sleeve to have the cable stick out more! :mad I now have 2 cables on order!

myred318i
09-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Front motor is for the height adjustment. Back motor is for seatback angle. Did you change cables or trim the sheath? I worked on the E34 on Labor Day and found some idiot trimmed the metal sleeve to have the cable stick out more! :mad I now have 2 cables on order!

Yeah - I was working on the back motor & cables the whole time (like I said - what a dumbass!)
Anyway, once I was able to get the motors out, I just trimmed the sheath back a little. Worked like a charm.

The trick is just being able to access the motor mount bolts, they are a major PITA to get to. I finally bought a little universal joint socket extension and was able to access a couple of the bolts that I could never get to before.

It always comes down to having the right tool! :wave:

robertop88
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Im currently have the same problem am dropping it off monday to my local mechanic to replace the motor. Did you guys have to order a new motor and if so where did u get it

Htownmobaudio
08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Wait I had this prob with my e39

beastmaster: I dont know if the cables are compatible but i ended up with an extra set the 4 piece set for e39. the dealer won't take it back so if you need i can ship it out to you for cheaper than dealer

bpk
09-02-2007, 01:03 PM
I have the same seat twist problem and this morning it went back even further on the right side. I now have to drive with the drivers seat completely reclined. How did you fix it?

Green525iT
09-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I did mine earlier. Two front seats with twisting seatbacks. Although I did not remove my seats and I just used a small rachet w/ an 8mm socket and the popular HEAT, REMOVE and TRIM method on the cable sheaths.

Dale Andersen
10-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Heres a fix I've used twice that doesn't cost a dime- take the cable out of the housing and measure it. Then get a big hammer and something hard and start smacking the cable up and down its length, rotating it as you go. After several trips up & down, remeasure. It should be getting longer. If not, hit harder, because it will grow! I don't know how much longer I decided it needed to be but I kept on until it would insert into the motor and gearbox. Regrease it when you put it all back together.

mellymel84
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks.

I've gotta try this too cause my drivers seat is twisted.

DTMkid90
08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
do you have any pics im confused how to do this ha i need this also lol

jessejames
08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
look in the FAQ for a DIY with pictures.

Testercles
08-27-2008, 03:52 AM
I have a manually adjustable RHD Drivers seat that I THINK might have a leftwards tendency.
From the talk about the motors is seat twist exclusive to electric seats and am I just imagining it?

strayts
08-27-2008, 04:03 AM
pics?

arttam54
07-02-2015, 01:14 PM
pics?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSekHD8op0GCXAJKIjqeT2lRrTXKrMrS aimcHnuQB7w-v9vsRGK

corcovado
07-02-2015, 01:18 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSekHD8op0GCXAJKIjqeT2lRrTXKrMrS aimcHnuQB7w-v9vsRGK

Quality first post.

Tre0Tre34
07-02-2015, 01:22 PM
boom.

Bimmerick
07-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Removing motors to fix twisted seats? I have fixed a few twisted seats, and never had to pull a seat motor. I don't have pictures, but there is an easier way:

1) start with seat back squared up and seat removed or just raised high and tilted forward (as in back screws removed). Easier IMO with seat removed.
2) remove both recline cables from hinge end connections (remove cable retaining clip and just pull cable out)
3) pull felt "washer" out of cable end and cut in half
4) with a propane torch, carefully heat cable end fitting
5) with pliers, push cable end fitting down to expose more of the center part of cable
6) cool cable, reinstall half of felt washer, and reassemble
7) repeat on other side

Binjammin
07-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Is this really a combination of one of the oldest posts in this sub with one of the smallest pics in this sub, by one of the newest members of this sub? :rofl

Waitedog
07-03-2015, 09:41 AM
yea, I mean this topic has more documentation, pictures and how to guides. No one should be in the dark as to how to make this simple fix.
And I certainly would not take the car to a shop and pay anyone to do this fix when it is so simple to do.

corcovado
07-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Removing motors to fix twisted seats? I have fixed a few twisted seats, and never had to pull a seat motor. I don't have pictures, but there is an easier way:

1) start with seat back squared up and seat removed or just raised high and tilted forward (as in back screws removed). Easier IMO with seat removed.
2) remove both recline cables from hinge end connections (remove cable retaining clip and just pull cable out)
3) pull felt "washer" out of cable end and cut in half
4) with a propane torch, carefully heat cable end fitting
5) with pliers, push cable end fitting down to expose more of the center part of cable
6) cool cable, reinstall half of felt washer, and reassemble
7) repeat on other side

That is just for recline. The seat cushions that you sit on sometimes also twist (both of mine were twisted). Both those cables are located behind the recline cables and are pretty hard to get out, so sometimes it helps to pull the motors (and even seats) out of the car to do a proper fix. It's not necessary, but leads to a lot less cursing.

Binjammin
07-03-2015, 11:51 AM
yea, I mean this topic has more documentation, pictures and how to guides. No one should be in the dark as to how to make this simple fix.
And I certainly would not take the car to a shop and pay anyone to do this fix when it is so simple to do.

Can you? I mean... is your car driving again?