PDA

View Full Version : Help...key Locked In Trunk

kto
08-10-2004, 12:50 AM
Popped the trunk to change a cd and left it there.

This is so f^%&*(^ embarrassing. All 4 windows and moonroof are open 1 inch. Can I try to go in with something to pop the trunk or does security disable the button? Can I do anything besides calling the dealer to make me a key????

kto
08-10-2004, 02:47 AM
so drill a hole like so:

Tranceshark
08-10-2004, 03:22 AM
This is so funny!!!! :lol

That EXACT :eyecrazy Thing happened to me yesterday afternoon for my very first time, too...

I was totally sunken in thoughts (still at work in my mind) (Whoa! BAD ENGLISH!) and closed the trunk with the key inside... :confused

Fortunately at home I have a second key. So I called my dad, he ran up the 90 miles to my work and handed me my second key which would finally let me back in. :alright This is so embarrasing!!! But I just had to share, so you can see you are not the only dumb mofo running around here :)

Trnsprtr
08-10-2004, 06:42 AM
Well since the roof is open a bit, how about a long rod (like a wooden dowel) to push the central unlock button?

cliffwilliams
08-10-2004, 07:11 AM
WHen I did that to my car a couple of years ago the BMW Breakdown man used a long rod to push onto the electric window to wind it down.

If you do the same through your window you can then reach in and use the unlock button. And you wount run the risk of scratching the wood effect around your shifter....

EDIT:
FOrgot there are two things you have to do prior to pressing the power window button...........but it would be totally irresponsible of me to put them on open forum. If you wish to know and still cant get in then send me a PM please!!!!!!!!!

Alpine3.23
08-10-2004, 12:50 PM
In Canada we have CAA
Which is like a car association
where you can call for problems with your car
for example if u lock a key in it

Some tow truck comapnies can do it to
why dont u try that

kto
08-10-2004, 01:39 PM
called AAA...they called a locksmith...locksmith said get a key from bmw

Reed Hunt
08-10-2004, 02:33 PM
This is so funny!!!! :lol

That EXACT :eyecrazy Thing happened to me yesterday afternoon for my very first time, too...

I was totally sunken in thoughts (still at work in my mind) (Whoa! BAD ENGLISH!) and closed the trunk with the key inside... :confused

Fortunately at home I have a second key. So I called my dad, he ran up the 90 miles to my work and handed me my second key which would finally let me back in. :alright This is so embarrasing!!! But I just had to share, so you can see you are not the only dumb mofo running around here :)

I hope you bought your dad a beer!

Trnsprtr
08-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Before you do that (last resort, of course), see if BMW dealer or NA can fax you a template for it.

You have to show your registration to BMW to get a key cut - there will be 3 feet of snow in hell before they stop laughing at this request if it were made.

kto
08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
They said pink slip is fine too...."one guy here has done about 2 cars...he's still learning to drill into trunks...you know you have to be confident on this kind of work to do it"

I ask how to tow it...you know if you raise your bimmer the alarm will go off...tilt sensor....the guy said tow the bimmer in screaming on top of its lungs...its ok...we'll get the key.....

Also they said that if the car is armed, the trunk button inside is still active. I though security disables all buttons inside car. Can anybody verify? Some people said that I can take down the windows too...(((?????))))

Trnsprtr
08-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Pull and release inner door handle
Hit the central unlock button
Pull and release inner door handle twice (actually, may only be once at this point, already forgot - order of first two steps is the key)
Door will open and alarm will go off
Pop your trunk
Never do that again :stickoutt

BTW - the siren only sounds for a couple minutes when the alarm is set off, the lights keep flashing afterwards.

kto
08-11-2004, 01:49 AM
ok...i got the hood open...tried shorting out pins 7 and 19...nothing....

inside, the trunk and door buttons don't work...

tried open handle, press unlock once, open handle again....nothing

is there a way to start ignition from the hood...you know set it into I, II, or III???

Tranceshark
08-11-2004, 03:13 AM
@Reed
Invited him for dinner. He liked the tour... took him about an hour to do the 90miles, so he made a good average speed...

@kto
Be careful with that. Normally (European BMWīs) will shut down function of all buttons after a few minutes. This is why I didnīt say anything about trying to put a stick inside or sth. like that. I donīt know if thereīs a difference in US Versions?!?

cliffwilliams
08-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Talking from first hand experience the technician had all my dashboard lit up, windows powered etc by jumping terminals and didnt seem to go off in the ten minutes it took him.

Yes I too have locked my keys in the car( no spare), and the boot ( twice but with spares to hand!!!)

tony(topaz,SMG)
08-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Just like trnsprtr said. I just tried it myself.: See my post on Bimmerboard:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/26542

kto
08-11-2004, 12:37 PM
ok...i was messing with the car for a whole hour and here is the update:

the car is a 97 by the way

the passenger window is down a little....i reached in....alarm went off...

1)with a stick pulled the door handle once, unlock, pull again...nothing
2)pulled hood release, shorted pins 7 and 19...nothing....can't roll down windows
3) took off license plate...and then the long plastic covering the metal....drilled a hole about an inch to the right of the right screw....worked a hanger in the hole...without luck
4) swore at the bimmer

Maybe I should try step 3 again....what am I looking for when I drill a hole....is it some wire I catch with a hook and pull on it????

Can somebody try arming their 97 bimmer with windows down and see if you can pull the driver door handle, press unlock, and then pull handle again to see if it work??? I can reach the passanger handle with my hand (the crack is big enough) but not the driver.

Oh another thing...the trunk button is disabled when security is armed...

tony(topaz,SMG)
08-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Just took a look at my trunk release rod. If you drill a hole 1 and 1/2 inches above and 2 inches to the Left of the bottom right license plate hole, that should put you right on the rod that releases the trunk lock. After you drill the hole you have to move the rod to the passenger side about an inch of travel. The best way I see to do this is to insert a hanger wire with a short 1/2 inch 90 degree bend at the end and get to the actual release where the silver rod hooks up to.. I will post pictures on Bimmerboard in a few minutes that might help. Here's the link to the pictures:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/26562

mdw
08-11-2004, 05:32 PM
This must have been the weekend for locking the keys in the trunk. Here's how mine went:

Wife: Honey, where are the keys to your BMW? :confused I need to grab the items we bought last night out of the trunk.

Me: Here you go.

Wife: (about 5 minutes later) Honey, I need the spare key.

Me: WHY? :confused

Wife: I think I locked your keys in the trunk.

Me:WHAT? :mad

I called roadside assistance. They suck. They told me that a replacement would have to be made in Germany, "the only place a BMW key can be cut" and mailed to the US.

Of course nobody suggests using a locksmith, not even a locksmith.

On Monday, I went on down to the tag office and paid a dollar for a copy of my registration (at the dealer's direction).

Then, I went on over to the dealer with my "proof". The dealer orederd me a duplicate from TENN (not Germany) where, according to them, all US replacement keys are cut.

I had the key 24 hours later.

Luckily, for me, the BMW was parked safely in my garage and I had other things to drive. This whole thing would have really sucked if I'd been on a road trip or something.

Lesson Learend: Don't let your wife play with your toys.

Rob Levinson
08-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Sorry, this doesn't help, but I was reminded of this:

http://www.robertlevinson.com/lol/Blondestar2004.mp3

:D

- Rob

johngoga
08-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Sorry, this doesn't help, but I was reminded of this:

http://www.robertlevinson.com/lol/Blondestar2004.mp3

:D

- Rob

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

John

Rob Levinson
08-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Lesson Learend: Don't let your wife play with your toys.

I bet your wife is still wondering what you did with your spare key... :D

- Rob

kto
08-13-2004, 01:40 PM
blondestar........... :lol

The spare key came in...everyone thanks for your help.

You guys are the best here...you always come through.....

Hey since I'm here, what is an LSD differential?

FlyingHigh
08-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Hey since I'm here, what is an LSD differential?

LSD = Limited Slip Differential. More info can be found here: http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm

Cheers,

mdw
08-13-2004, 03:22 PM
I bet your wife is still wondering what you did with your spare key... :D

- Rob

Rob - She certainly was not wondering what I was doing with my right foot when I reared back to kick her in the a--.

Just kidding, she was so upset about it I could not even get mad at her.

Because of a chain of errors, all the spare keys were actually locked in the trunk with the master. They were inside of the bag I usually carry to work which is usualluy in my work car but was in the BMW trunk instead. It's a long, stupid story.

740iOrientBlue
02-17-2007, 08:02 PM
... make sure you get one of those plastic keys that you can keep in your purse/wallet.

Fortunately, I have two keys at home, the one I normally use, and the small plastic key at work.

... I think I'll move the plastic key to my wallet after reading all these posts.

Oh! And please try the tennis ball think. BMW would freak if it worked on their cars I bet.

EtherHunt
05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I locked the keys inside.......THE TRUNK!!!! BOTH MASTER KEYS!!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!! it was that fing cd changers fault. uhhbhhhh

i been leaving the windows an inch open cuz i just replaced the windshield and scared to get air bubbles when I shut the doors.

I put a branch in trying to reach the center console and the alarm went off.... i hit the center console switch and nothing happens.

If I pull on the handle with a coat hanger will the door unlock????
or should I just get a new key. it about 100 dollars
70 for key and 20 for registration because the only copy I have is inside the car....

from what im reading cars from 96 dont work with that pull inside handle once hit center console pull handle again technique.. is that true.
I dont wanna order a key if I dont have to.. thanks

IcemanBHE
05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Towed to E38 forum

meteck
05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Wow! this thread covers 6 years.:eek: BTW, I always use my key to lock my car from the trunk. Sets the alarm and ensures that my key stays in my hand.

IcemanBHE
05-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes...this guy is awesome at dredging up the past...
:confused

tavo80816
05-25-2010, 11:08 PM
lol...you guys get annoyed when newbie's just ask questions without searching first...this guy searches first and then asks a question, and you are still annoyed...DAMNED IF YOU DO, DAMNED IF YOU DON'T!!!!

IcemanBHE
05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
I think if the thread is older than about 2 months, your not going to find the OP to ask questions of, unless he is here all the time.

Getting replies from a OP on a 3 year old post is not going to happen.

laselvasurf
05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I answered this in another thread. I don't have the details on whether or not a 1996 works the same as my 01 with the middle unlock button. Sorry I can't help there.

Here is the details:

If you locked your keys in the car's trunk, it's relatively easy to gain access. I did this, called over a dozed lock smiths in the bay area, only one had an idea to get in. Everyone else said it would be atleast 3 days to get the replacement key from bmw.

Here is what the locksmith did that worked great:

He first broke into the cabin of the vehicle, same as any other... Separate the door at the seams, stick in long metal rods with curved ends, pull unlock hand twice. Make sure you hit the unlock button on the center console first(he said by doing this the car computer won't go into so shutdown lockout mode, therefor allowing you to use the door handles to unlock the car). This took about a half an hour, and as soon as he stuck the metal rod through the door seams, the alarm started going off, as the motion censor picked it up.

Next, he took a hammer and a wide straight screw driver and pounded out where the factory ski package would of been. There is a temporary piece of metal and trim there that easily pops out with about a half an hour of pounding. He then had to cut away the carpet inside the trunk. Then he sent in a camera and light to see where the keys were. He reached in, past my sub, around a hard camera case and was able to get the keys. I could of re-attached the metal piece between the cabin and trunk, but it helped with the clarity of my subs in the trunk, so I left it open.

Two days later I ordered another 2 keys. I now have 2 primary keys and a wallet key.

I learned two things though: 1 No one can break into my trunk without taking a considerable amount of time and making a ton of noise (alarm was going off for most of the time). 2 Always have more than one key to any car, ever.

Qsilver7
05-26-2010, 03:22 AM
I also replied in the other post and...the 95-99 is different than the 2000 & 2001 e38...you can NOT pull twice on the interior handles (after pressing the central lock button on the center console) to open the doors when the car has been double locked on the earlier models. When the older e38s are double locked...the interior doors can't be opened.

See the 3rd paragraph in image below for the 2000/2001 change in central locking system operation:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/Central%20Locking%20System%20E38%201.jpg

EtherHunt
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Here is the Illumination key I ordered.
As far as I know this is the only OTHER picture of an Illumination key.
The second picture is from the internet.
What do your Keys look like?
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/EtherHunt/BIC.jpg
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2957/101/7390050128_large.jpg

Rob Levinson
05-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh! And please try the tennis ball think. BMW would freak if it worked on their cars I bet.

I think anybody would be freaked. Especially since it's a joke to see what people will fall for. :lol

BUSTED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1jfhaL3Ec

However, it will unlock a unicorn. It's really embarrassing when you lock your keys inside your unicorn. :D

- Rob

Qsilver7
05-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Here is the Illumination key I ordered.
As far as I know this is the only OTHER picture of an Illumination key.
The second picture is from the internet.
What do your Keys look like?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2957/101/7390050128_large.jpg

:lol:lol:lol

That's funny. That pic off the internet is mine...it was the keys from my 1995 e34 525iT (12/95 build date)...it has EWS II and all of the keys have a transponder in them. :)

The old style E38 key set should look like the ones in the illustration below...these are the 4 keys that should have originally came with the car:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/Old%20Style%20BMW%20Key%20Set.jpg

Below is the new style key set (9/99-up build date):

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/new%20style%20BMW%20key%20set.jpg