PDA

View Full Version : Answer to the Question: Will my airbag still deploy if the airbag warning lamp is on?

Wayne@PelicanParts
06-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi folks. I recently wrote a tech article on this, and found some info I'd like to share. I searched the archives here, and found multiple instances where people said their airbag lamp was on, and their airbags still deployed. So I looked at the BMW factory bulletins on the system and found some definitive information on the subject:

The airbag system will still work if the airbag light is on, and there are only minor faults observed. I will quote from BMW factory documents:

72 01 93 (2137) - "The Watchdog subsystem has the ability to disable the Output Stage in the event of certain faults."

72 01 85 (2042) - "If the SRS indicator light [lights up] the system is faulty; there is a risk of the system not operating in the event of an accident.

So the correct statement would be: "Depending upon the type of fault recorded by the Watchdog system, the airbags may or may not deploy - it depends on how serious the fault it."

Just thought I'd share. The full article is here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/Mult-Air_Bag_Lamp/Mult-Air_Bag_Lamp.htm

-Wayne

AaronT
06-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info - this is probably the most common "problem" I've seen on our cars, with my limited amount of experience.

5 out of 7 of the 325's I test drove all had either a steady or blinking (or sometimes both) SRS light.

Wayne@PelicanParts
06-15-2004, 04:09 AM
Funny - all three of my E36s are flashing it right now...

-Wayne

rmn
06-15-2004, 09:00 PM
So I guess you could check the fault determine if that particular fault would cause the air bags to not deploy, do you have a list of which ones won't effect the system? If not, I guess I will assume that if the light is on the air bags won't work. It's kind of like having your no/low oil pressure light come on, it could always be a short in the switch or wire but do you really want to take that chance?

Tropical Bimmer
06-16-2004, 01:14 AM
On my 318ti I had the airbag light pop-up once. I read somewhere (can't remember if it was the manual or the 318ti.org forum) that if the light pops on, it's the passenger side seat sensor, and the failsafe was that the airbag would always go off, regardless of there being an occupant in that seat or not. Then again, the ti was a fairly simple beast so this might not be the best yardstick ;)

Wayne@PelicanParts
06-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Hmm, I guess you could make that analogy, however, if the oil pressure light goes on in any car I own, I turn it off immediately and coast to the side of the road...

-Wayne

snk328is
06-16-2004, 10:15 AM
So I guess you could check the fault determine if that particular fault would cause the air bags to not deploy, do you have a list of which ones won't effect the system? If not, I guess I will assume that if the light is on the air bags won't work. It's kind of like having your no/low oil pressure light come on, it could always be a short in the switch or wire but do you really want to take that chance?
I would also like to know which fault code will still allow the airbags to deploy or not...

BabyM
06-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info --that makes me feel better since I took my passenger seat out for drag racing and haven't had a chance to get the light reset.

Anyone know how much the Dealer charges for a reset with no real 'faults'?

I'm wondering if it's more cost effective to have them do it or buy the $130 tool.

rmn
06-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Hmm, I guess you could make that analogy, however, if the oil pressure light goes on in any car I own, I turn it off immediately and coast to the side of the road...
-Wayne

Me too, that's why I would assume the air bags aren't going to deploy since I don't know (for sure) other wise.

rdp328is
06-16-2004, 04:38 PM
I removed the old seat belt latch and installed a new one about a year ago...had to remove the seat and disengage the wiring and up popped the SRS light. I have since placed a piece of black electrical tape over the light and wear a seatbelt :-).

I wonder if my airbag will deploy still?...I hate giving $90 bucks to some jackhole at the stealer so he can use 30 seconds of his time and reset it.

Grrrrrrr

Wayne@PelicanParts
06-18-2004, 01:15 AM
I was not able to find a list of codes that would prevent the airbag from deploying. The Tech Bulletins said "See Repair Manual"...

-Wayne

Emory
06-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Twice now I have dealt with the SRS light coming on and staying on for a few minutes after starting. Both times it was a faulty seat belt sensor. It was on the driver's side, which bothers me for two reasons:

1. I had it replaced the first time, and it failed less that two years later. The part is between $75 to $94.
2. (And I ask this question in all seriousness.) What is the point of having a driver's seat belt sensor? I think it's a fairly safe assumption that, if the car is involved in a collision that is significant enought to deploy the airbag, the driver's seat will be occupied.

I would advise buying the Peake SRS reset tool (it's different from the diagnostic/fault code tool) because it will pay for itself. Each time your shop reads the code, they will charge you, and the amount billed for two reads is usually more than $129. You can reset the light, and if it comes back on, you'll know the fault, and no stealer can screw you. Just my two cents worth.

Wayne@PelicanParts
06-18-2004, 02:55 AM
2. (And I ask this question in all seriousness.) What is the point of having a driver's seat belt sensor? I think it's a fairly safe assumption that, if the car is involved in a collision that is significant enought to deploy the airbag, the driver's seat will be occupied.

That's a great question. I have thought about this for a minute. Perhaps it's to figure out when to fire the airbag for people who do and do not wear their seat belts?

-Wayne

ClubSportCohort
06-18-2004, 03:41 AM
Wayne is right. Without a seat belt on, your air bag will likely kill you, or at least break your neck.