PDA

View Full Version : ICV (Idling Control Valve) cleaning problem! Help!

archyx
05-10-2004, 08:59 PM
My car ('96 328i w/ 83k miles, manual) has very sticky tachometer. The rev stays where it is for about a second before dropping when you depress the clutch. I thought this might have something to do with the ICV so I'm cleaning it today.

It's not much effort to dissemble the tubes to it and the three 10mm bolt holding it. The real PITA is to get it out from under the manifold. I tried about 40 minutes but ended up dissembled a lot more stuffs to slide the ICV out.

OK. Now my problem is: I cannot open the ICV. There are 5 pins holding the thing in one piece that I can't take apart. I'm thinking that to clean the valve you have to pry open the ICV. But how do you guys take it apart??? I've been trying for the past hour but gaining no grounds except left with swollen hands. :mad:

JonD
05-11-2004, 07:11 AM
To clean it all I did was spray some carb cleaner into both sides of the tubes and used my finger to open and close the valve. Just keep playing with the valve and use q-tips/kleenexs to get all the dirt out. I sprayed a $hitload of carbcleaner to make sure all the dirt was out.

Taking it apart seems like a bad idea to me, but I'm unsure of what others have done.

zeit00
05-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Yes no need to open it up. You might not be able to put it back together. I would do exactly what JonD says. That should help a lot. I would actually buy a new can because you might use it all. Just let it dry out well.

Robstah
05-11-2004, 09:09 AM
can carb cleaner be found at say an auto zone/pep boys?

ICTBMW
05-11-2004, 09:24 AM
can carb cleaner be found at say an auto zone/pep boys?

yes

zeit00
05-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Yep.. And there are a lot to chose from. ;)

Robstah
05-11-2004, 01:20 PM
looks like i will be cleaning mine out today :D

SecretAznSauce
05-11-2004, 10:14 PM
just buy a new one, bimmerzone has them for 96 bucks and free shipping

icemann633
05-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Can someone post a pic of where/what this exactly is? I want to check mine out and im unsure of the exact location...

archyx
05-12-2004, 12:52 AM
Can someone post a pic of where/what this exactly is? I want to check mine out and im unsure of the exact location...

I attached three photos showing the location of the ICV. I can see it but I just couldn't get it off. damned! :mad: Here is the post (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2271827#post2271827)

ReVsHoT
05-12-2004, 07:54 AM
i here pep boys sells carb cleaner but i here its the type R cleaner...

FLAMO!!! :lol:

Robstah
05-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I "hear" that Pep Boys sells carb cleaner, but I "hear" it's the type R cleaner...

If your going to flame posts, then learn howto spell correctly...

daryl
05-12-2004, 12:59 PM
if somebody could do a DIY write up on our M50's, it'll be bloody great man!! the m42 write up doesn't really help us much...

tomas3314
06-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Will be doing this today, will post pictures once done......

daryl
06-12-2004, 08:51 PM
cool!! will definately be waiting for it mate!! ;)

tomas3314
06-12-2004, 09:56 PM
It was pretty simple to clean once you've gotten to it. I did find there was alot of build-up looked to be carbon. It came right off. What I did was just spray a whole lot of carb cleaner in through the side (picture of side view). Dries right up, left it like new.

DARYL, where you looking to do this yourself? And so was it the only thing you were interested in checking (ICV). The reason I ask is that it takes about a good 4 -5 paced hours to do this (if you've had practice already at dismantling the intake manifold). The initial reason I got to it was because I was changing my starter. I also ended up swapping all new coolant hoses, vaccuum hoses, fuel lines, fuel hoses, fuel filter, and gaskets because I never want to go through this again (dismantling int. man.). I did have a thread of what your engine will look like once you get started taking everything apart. The thread was something like " Picture of engine while changing starter" or something like that. If you search "changing starter" it might come up. I'll look for a picture to post here or email me if you want me to send you some. Might be pretty discouraging, lol. tomas3314@yahoo.com

daryl
06-12-2004, 10:10 PM
i haven't dismantled much since getting my car..
but i thought i might as well give my icv a clean to help with my vibration...the car vibrates like a hot rod sometimes...so i thought i'd give this a go first before starting on other avenues...
thnks for the pics....now i got to go find it somewhere in my engine compartment..i know its near the oil dipstick area...lol..

tomas3314
06-12-2004, 10:17 PM
i haven't dismantled much since getting my car..
but i thought i might as well give my icv a clean to help with my vibration...the car vibrates like a hot rod sometimes...so i thought i'd give this a go first before starting on other avenues...
thnks for the pics....now i got to go find it somewhere in my engine compartment..i know its near the oil dipstick area...lol..

Check out this thread I posted, it has some detailed photos along with the other ones I was talking about.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210832

bmwman91
06-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Wow that unit looks to be the exact same as the unit on my M42. I guess they never felt the need to update it even though it likes to act up.

daryl
06-13-2004, 02:46 AM
Check out this thread I posted, it has some detailed photos along with the other ones I was talking about.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210832

thnks for the link...i'll follow up with it with mine...get the vac hoses & fuel lines replaced as well... :)