PDA

View Full Version : water in 4 doors

microlost
02-13-2010, 01:28 AM
every time it rain, i open my doors there will be some water at the bottom of the door, it's in all 4 doors, so every time after it rain, i have to open all 4 doors to let the water out, today, it started to leak in to the carpet maybe there were too much water there so it flooded, anyway, any ideas why the water wont drain to the ground? and why all 4 droors has the same problem? please help, i live in Oregon, and it reains almost everyday here.

540iboy
02-13-2010, 01:29 AM
might need new weather stripping :dunno, just look around the doors and see if any of the rubber strips are gone/ torn.

microlost
02-13-2010, 05:02 AM
i did look a them they look ok, maybe i will look again, but the water is at the bottom of the door, so maybe the seal is too tight and water can drain out?i dont know what they call, door trim maybe, you know when you open the door, you see the bmw logo, that is where the water at, still out side the carpet, but if there are too much water there, then they leak inside. and now i see some water in the carpet, and now my car smells like my son's diper

Qsilver7
02-13-2010, 09:11 AM
There should be drain holes in the bottom of your doors that allows water to drain out. Check those holes to make sure they aren't clogged.

Also, the doors are designed this way ...when water runs down the windows...it enters the interior of the door. The vapor barrier/door card (inside the door) has adhesive around it that is suppossed to keep any water inside the exteriror and vapor barrier...and the water is supposed to flow into the bottom of the door, then out thru the drain holes.

If and when the adhesive fails around the vapor barrier, the water flows inside the car instead of to the bottom of the door. That is how you get wet carpet in the footwells that usually come up in threads at least 1 to 3 times a month. So there are lots of discussions about this topic and the remedy to fix it. :)

microlost
02-14-2010, 02:44 AM
There should be drain holes in the bottom of your doors that allows water to drain out. Check those holes to make sure they aren't clogged.

Also, the doors are designed this way ...when water runs down the windows...it enters the interior of the door. The vapor barrier/door card (inside the door) has adhesive around it that is suppossed to keep any water inside the exteriror and vapor barrier...and the water is supposed to flow into the bottom of the door, then out thru the drain holes.

If and when the adhesive fails around the vapor barrier, the water flows inside the car instead of to the bottom of the door. That is how you get wet carpet in the footwells that usually come up in threads at least 1 to 3 times a month. So there are lots of discussions about this topic and the remedy to fix it. :)

i am not sure what you are talking about, but i will take a look at the doors when it stop raining, and i will look for the drian holes. thanks for the tips

Kevin Da Clean1
02-16-2010, 02:59 AM

This man speak the truth... ! I have to fix this same issue on my M5 soon... :(

Qsilver7
02-16-2010, 03:31 AM
i am not sure what you are talking about, but i will take a look at the doors when it stop raining, and i will look for the drian holes. thanks for the tips

Which part are you not sure about? The drain holes? The vapor barrier? The failed adhesive that allows the water to flow inside the cabin?

I went to google and typed "bmw e39 vapor barrier" and found this thread that has pics of an e39 M5 that had this problem and posted pics of his car with the door panel removed...where you can see the vapor barrier (door card) that is behind the door panel...as well as where the adhesive had failed and allowed water to flow inside his car.

Here's a direct link found by doing a simple google search using a few key words: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/142940-fixed-leaking-rear-door-vapor-barriers-pics.html

microlost
02-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Which part are you not sure about? The drain holes? The vapor barrier? The failed adhesive that allows the water to flow inside the cabin?

I went to google and typed "bmw e39 vapor barrier" and found this thread that has pics of an e39 M5 that had this problem and posted pics of his car with the door panel removed...where you can see the vapor barrier (door card) that is behind the door panel...as well as where the adhesive had failed and allowed water to flow inside his car.

Here's a direct link found by doing a simple google search using a few key words: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/142940-fixed-leaking-rear-door-vapor-barriers-pics.html
thanks man,:lol that answered my questions, i will check again, i checked the drain holes they are all good, i will look at the "The vapor barrier and The failed adhesive that allows the water to flow inside the cabin" tomorrow

Qsilver7
02-16-2010, 02:26 PM
:thumbup:

Good luck with the repair...from all the previous threads I've read about this...if you can find the adhesive that you can stick on to the metal part of the door...then remove the protective paper from it so that you can line up the vapor barrier/door card then set everything in place is the easiest method.

(note black adhesive adhered around the door...with part of the protective paper still attached)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3940/img0928ho6.jpg

Kevin Da Clean1
02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
:thumbup:

Good luck with the repair...from all the previous threads I've read about this...if you can find the adhesive that you can stick on to the metal part of the door...then remove the protective paper from it so that you can line up the vapor barrier/door card then set everything in place is the easiest method.

(note black adhesive adhered around the door...with part of the protective paper still attached)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3940/img0928ho6.jpg

Excellent picture man... ! Can you buy this tape from the BMW dealer & if so, do you have a part # on it? If so, thank you in advance.

Doc325i
02-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Check this link below for possible adhesive
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1089505&highlight=silicone

GE Silicone II worked perfectly for me. Just be sure to check the expiration date before purchasing.