Thread: Whining when clutch released

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Whining when clutch released

As the subject says, I have a bit of a whine when I start up the car and it's just sitting there. When I depress the clutch pedal, it goes away fully. I only really notice the noise when I first start up the car, though it's probably there all the time. Any ideas on what it could be?

Throw-out bearing? Primary shaft bearing? If it's the latter, what sort of cost am I looking at to get it fixed (is it DIY)?

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by ////\/\ark
    As the subject says, I have a bit of a whine when I start up the car and it's just sitting there. When I depress the clutch pedal, it goes away fully. I only really notice the noise when I first start up the car, though it's probably there all the time. Any ideas on what it could be?

Throw-out bearing? Primary shaft bearing? If it's the latter, what sort of cost am I looking at to get it fixed (is it DIY)?
    mine also makes the same noise ... what gives?

My Cars
    m3
    Same problem where. Mine is now more like a rattle or grinding sound . How many miles do you guys have on your cars?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Just turned 59k. Yeah mine isn't rattling or grinding. It almost sounds like an electrical whine. I only recently discovered that it goes away when the clutch is depressed.

Anyone got any words of wisdom?

My Cars
    --97 SC'd ///M3--04 ///M3 VERT--07 ESCALADE--
    throwout bearing

My Cars
    '97 M3/328i-'74/'76 02s
    Another possiblity is the endshaft bearings in the tranny. I believe they are roller bearings, and the tend to get a bit noisy overtime. Usually it is more of a soft grumbling sound with the clutch release in neutral, when you depress the clutch it goes away. Nothing to be overly concerned about. Trannies last for years like this, just keep the gearbox fluid fresh.

-Justin
    --
    '74 tii
    '76 02
    '97 328i
    '97 m3
    http://www.bmw2002.net

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by habbie
    throwout bearing
    Yup, mine is going out too.
    Sean

My Cars
    1997 M3
    how can you tell if it's your flywheel rattling as opposed to any other part?
    1997 Cosmos M3/2
    2002 Blue R6

My Cars
    m3
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerry2002
    Another possiblity is the endshaft bearings in the tranny. I believe they are roller bearings, and the tend to get a bit noisy overtime. Usually it is more of a soft grumbling sound with the clutch release in neutral, when you depress the clutch it goes away. Nothing to be overly concerned about. Trannies last for years like this, just keep the gearbox fluid fresh.

-Justin

That sounds more like my problem. I would like to fix it. From what i've read it's not too hard to drop the tranny just takes time. I think i'll wait untill it either gets really bad or starts giving me problems.

My Cars
    '05 Mitsubishi Evo, '05 Lotus Elise
    Hmmm.... interesting timeliness of post.

I just started hearing this noise yesterday morning when starting up the car (only seems to happen when it's cold for the first minute or so of driving). My first guess was that a belt was going, but as soon as I depressed the clutch I realized that couldn't be the case. The belts look fine anyway.

Dang, and I just had a UUC stage II fly/ M5 clutch installed 18 months ago (15k miles). I guess it makes sense that the TB is more stressed in this setup. Still.... 18 months. :

- John, doesn't want to drop the tranny, hoping noise won't get worse

My Cars
    '02 M3 SMG, '00 M Roadster, 95 M3 LTW
    NOT throwout bearing. Throwout bearing will make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, but not when it is up.

Tranny. Could be bearings, or could just be gear whine. What tranny fluid? How old is it?

I would change it and put Redline MTL in it and see if that makes it go away.
    Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
    '00 Dakar M Roadster
    '02 Topaz M3 SMG

My Cars
    '05 Mitsubishi Evo, '05 Lotus Elise
    Redline Hi-temp ATF... 18 months (15k miles) old.

I think it's fine, but maybe a flush wouldn't hurt.

Are you sure about the TB? I always thought it was the other way... (explains why ltw flys sometimes rattle in neutral without the clutch depressed).

- John

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I have Redline MT-90 in there. Just changed to it about three months ago. If it's just transmission whine (and if that is not harmful), then whatever... I wouldn't really mind. I only want to figure this out if it might screw something up.